Increasing range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Increasing range

Okay I have an L85 and have put in a Guarder hop rubber and nub but it only has about 15-20m range. Are there any other ways to increase the range? the fps is around 330 I think or I could put it down to 275 with a different spring.

cheers
    Originally posted by hellbound
    Magpul'ed guns wish they had Chuck Norris attachments

Re: Increasing range

At 15-20 meters, I'd seriously check for compression issues, is your FPS consistent?

Check your barrel for dirt/debris too.
    WANTED: Dynatec BFG.

Comment

Start by trying a hard nub, inside of a biro or something like that. Requires accurate setting of the hop unit, but gets more consistent results.

Check your hop rubber, if it looks worn, replace it with something else. I presume you have the guarder soft? If not, you probably want one of them or a marui or anything which is softer and designed for lower fps.

It's gotta be one of those two, at that fps and those parts you should be getting a bit more range that 15m :S

Next will be the inevitable shouts of 'Tightbore!' but sort your hop out first before you start throwing money at the barrel. Having said that, have you cleaned your barrel lately? spray some silicone on some cloth and swab the inside of the barrel, let it dry then do it again with a dry cloth.

Comment

@ DCRISP07 would compression have something to do with the piston O-ring or air nozzle?

@ Bachelarius The rubber is brand new and doesn't specify hard or soft bucking on the packet.

I think 15-20m was an exaggeration but it is still falling shorter than it should be, it is effectively short stroked with a custom piston spacer on a standard piston and sector gear if that's any help

Comment

run a few high caps through it see if that helps. I have new guns and new rubbers that don't even apply hop until they get broken in.

can you adjust the hop so much that the bbs will go up? that's usually my test so I know its worn in
          TM SCAR-L / LCT TACTICAL AK VARIANT / G&G UMP / MARUZEN P99 FIXED SLIDE / TM 18C AEP

Comment

If you know how consistent the shots are, i.e. it's firing at 330fps +/- x. If that number is more than about 10, so it's between 320 and 340, then you've got an air leak and of course you will get inaccuracies. Even 10fps is high in my book, but see how that goes.

Did you spray the rubber in silicone to get it on? If so, you may have some on the nub, which makes the hop less effective, thus more inaccuracies. Try with a cleaner hop rubber and avoid getting any silicone onto the area around the hop window, where the bump has to slide over.

If you want accuracy, then you need effective hop, low fps variation and a clean set of parts.

Comment

I have used this at a skirmish on sunday, so I assume it has been broken in and the bb's do fly up if hop is adjusted too high. The chrono reading with the old spring was 275, 275, 274 275 and 274 A very consistent fps.

What would you count as an 'effective range'?

Comment

@grammarnazi: partially yes, hop unit influences it too and rubbers have different thickenesses and create bad seals etc etc, there's a fair few factors.

But if 15-20 was an exaggerated estimate, it might just be a case of cleaning and bedding in like suggested. 15m range would suggest serious issues with the hop/gearbox.

As caffin said, a few hundred rounds through it should see it become consistent.

You could also look into different nubs, my SRC G36 doesn't like standard cylindrical nubs, I have to use H-nubs
                WANTED: Dynatec BFG.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

GrammarNazi75 Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive. Find out more about GrammarNazi75
                Working...
                X