Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

Faulty Battery, Fuse or Charger? (8.4, modified wiring ICS M16)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faulty Battery, Fuse or Charger? (8.4, modified wiring ICS M16)

My gun (ICS M16) will fire a few shots and then stop dead, almost like the battery has no charge. It's an 8.4 volt nimh. The problem is if I wait a bit, and fire a few shots my gun will die again, this is what leads me to think it is a fuse.

My gun is wired with deans, I took out the secondary connectors in the front of the stock (the ones between the fuse and the mech box, that allow you to remove the lower mech box) and soldered straight through. This has increased the RoF quite a bit (yay) but I am not sure if it has caused the problem.

Also, my charger (http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/produc...oducts_id=2658) tells me the battery is fully charged.

Can you guys think of what problem I may be having? I have no spare charger or battery and I would quite like to go skirmishing on Sunday (17th). I have yet to check the voltage output of the battery (will do tomorrow when I pop into work) so at the moment I am just guessing.

As I've said my instinct is that it is fuse related but if it is I have no idea how to fix it.

The internals of the gun are stock bar an M95 spring, metal bushings and of course the deans. I only use dielectric grease. The gun and charger are both 3 or 4 years old and the battery has been in use less than 2 months.

Thank you very much,
    Alex.

Re: Faulty Battery, Fuse or Charger? (8.4, modified wiring ICS M16)

Right I've been playing some more and with a fully charged 8.4 volt battery it runs fine for a bit and then refuses to turn over, like the motor runs out of torque. Something I wouldn't expect with an ICS 3000. It's almost like the motor is over heating or something. I'm pretty sure both the charger and battery are fine as I've checked with a multimeter. The fuse I opened up and looks fine, don't know why it wouldn't be.

I'm pretty sure it is a torque issue, as the motor runs fine for a bit and then just before it's finished cycling it gives up the ghost, leave it 30 seconds and it may just manage to make that last push and get the shot off. It's fine to start with, must have put 70 shots through it before it started to complain.

Not sure how important it is but the m95 spring is a little bent, it won't sit perfectly flat on the table due to it breaking the plastic spring guide, which was replaced by a metal bearing one.

Any ideas guys?
    Last edited by Fuzzy; 16 April, 2011, 17:06.

Comment

ok, has it worked properly since you changed the wiring?

Is it a different battery you tested it with the second time?

Is it a split gearbox?

Is it always 3 shots or has it varied? Does it make a differnce it it's semi or full auto?

It anything getting hot?

Seems unlikely to be a fuse. Generally they either work or don't, not intermittently.
      Originally posted by TLSFx on the misuse of pyros
      Never wave them at police firearms response teams. Those people have (real) guns and no sense of humour.

Comment

Originally posted by Genista View Post
        ok, has it worked properly since you changed the wiring?

Is it a different battery you tested it with the second time?

Is it a split gearbox?

Is it always 3 shots or has it varied? Does it make a differnce it it's semi or full auto?

It anything getting hot?

Seems unlikely to be a fuse. Generally they either work or don't, not intermittently.
        Yup brand new battery so I know that's not the problem , reading ~8.4 battery before it guns into the gun and when it comes out.

Yes it is a split box.

It did work when I first changed the wiring (as far as I can remember), it was only a mini Tamiya connector I took out though, with a straight solder, hardly rocket science. Though yes this could be the fault.

It isn't always three shots, it's normally 50-70 shots and then I get a failure every 0-5 shots where it needs to be left alone a bit.

I can't tell if anything is getting hot, I took the motor out and it looked fine, spun fine and the like.
        Last edited by Fuzzy; 16 April, 2011, 17:30.

Comment

I'm loathe to recommend destructive testing but fire it until it stops, then pop the motor out to check it.

If it still spins outside the box, then I'd be looking for something mechanical binding. Ie the bent spring (that you mentioned) against the spring guide.

Don't suppose you've got another spring to try it with?
          Never wave them at police firearms response teams. Those people have (real) guns and no sense of humour.

Comment

Originally posted by Genista View Post
            I'm loathe to recommend destructive testing but fire it until it stops, then pop the motor out to check it.

If it still spins outside the box, then I'd be looking for something mechanical binding. Ie the bent spring (that you mentioned) against the spring guide.

Don't suppose you've got another spring to try it with?
            I can slap the old spring in there. I'll give that a try first but it always seems to stop after a similar number of shots.

Comment

Slapped the old spring in there, same story.

No does the motor feel hot. Just tried to run it with the box split open to have very little load on the gears. It ran down slowly loosing revs. Maybe it is my wiring fix.

Comment

Hmmm. Whilst it's possible that there's a wiring issue, I don't see how a short would be able to stop it firing without showing up as an over heating component or something else.

Still, check it over. Don't forget that there are lots of conductive parts of your gun. If you still have a fuse, can you bypass it?

Comment

Could be that your battery is knackered?

How old is it?
                  "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." - Napolean

Comment

Brand new battery, reads ~8.4 volts on the multimeter.

Just jumped the motor straight of the battery, it has no torque, I could stop the pinion gear with my thumb and fore finger.

Sorry forgot to mention, I open up the fuse, still fine and clipped it back together.

Just looking at the motor, it has plenty of meat left on the brushes, I don't know what could be wrong with it.

Edit:
                    Scratch all of that, seems like the batteries are fucked, which leads me to think the charger is fucked.
                    Last edited by Fuzzy; 16 April, 2011, 19:35.

Comment

sounds like a duff battery to me i had a simaler problem bought a brand new one and had same problem as you reads at correct voltage but dont have the power to run the motor for more than a midcap mag consistently.... see if you can borrow a battery from someone just to test it. also try bypassing the fuse?

Comment

Hi mate , From how you describe the issue with your gun , the almost flat battery is the problem from the sounds of it for sure , get yourself a pro peak charger , perfect for the batterys your running , Chuck to other one in the bin . The ICS 3000 will pull a m150 with ease so that 95 wont bother it at all and the ICS CXP's come with a m120 as standard , cheers

Comment

Cheers, MonsterC10 and tsv2tuff, both hit the nail on the head. Time to invest in a new charger.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Fuzzy Find out more about Fuzzy
                          Working...
                          X