Wires, wires, wires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wires, wires, wires

Right, as the name suggests, I need help with wires.

Let me paint the picture for you..

I was plinking in the garden and I went inside with my weapon. Propped it up against the sofa barrel facing up and my dog walks in (he's a puppy and is just teething so he likes to chew everything) and he chews clean through one of my wires that leads into the reciever. I therefore go nuts, rant and rave at the dog but it was my fault for leaving it there and not paying attention to his ninja skills.

Anyways.

Now I am left with a weapon that will not fire and I have no experience soldering or anything like that. I was wondering, could I just get a mate to solder it together and electrical tape it up and forget it ever happened or will I need to replace the wire completely? Obviously, I know the first suggestion is a bodge job and the second isn't. But I'd just like to know what I can get away with because I really don't fancy driving 20+ miles just to get a wire done at my local airsoft shop.

Thanks for your help

Wourgh
    "DOOO ONEEE!"
    "Nahhhh!"

Looking to buy Warrior RICAS Vest! I don't mind what colour it is as long as it has a fair few pouches. PM me.

Re: Wires, wires, wires

Originally posted by Wourgh View Post
    Right, as the name suggests, I need help with wires.

Let me paint the picture for you..

I was plinking in the garden and I went inside with my weapon. Propped it up against the sofa barrel facing up and my dog walks in (he's a puppy and is just teething so he likes to chew everything) and he chews clean through one of my wires that leads into the reciever. I therefore go nuts, rant and rave at the dog but it was my fault for leaving it there and not paying attention to his ninja skills.

Anyways.

Now I am left with a weapon that will not fire and I have no experience soldering or anything like that. I was wondering, could I just get a mate to solder it together and electrical tape it up and forget it ever happened or will I need to replace the wire completely? Obviously, I know the first suggestion is a bodge job and the second isn't. But I'd just like to know what I can get away with because I really don't fancy driving 20+ miles just to get a wire done at my local airsoft shop.

Thanks for your help

Wourgh
    You probably will get away with it but at the very least put a proper sleeve or heat shrink on it.

You obviously know what the best course of action is, soldering isn't particularly hard and I taught myself using a couple of youtube videos. I'm be no means a master but good enough for the basics with not much practise. You could always practice on a bit of wire and then give it a go yourself.

Comment

By a solder, best thing ive ever done. Cost me £8 from maplins and its brilliant! I can now do all my own wiring. Solder costs about a £1 as well.
      TBH mate, you really would have to be special to not be able to do it! I've even made myself up a fuse connecter which can swap between guns!
      After you solder it though I would recomend wrapping it with either Heat Shrink or electrical tape

Comment

Awesome. yeah, I guess I'd have to look into it but I thought soldering irons were more costly than that. Thanks a bunch.

At least this will teach me to keep that f***ing puppy out of my room.

Wourgh
        "DOOO ONEEE!"
        "Nahhhh!"

Looking to buy Warrior RICAS Vest! I don't mind what colour it is as long as it has a fair few pouches. PM me.

Comment

Hahah, dont worry I had the same problem with my dog! (although she decided to eat through a rubber but pad!)

Comment

If you've got a mate with a decent soldering iron (i.e. better than the £8 Maplin one) then get him/her to do it for you. Heatshrink is better than insulating tape but it's expensive in small quantities. If you haven't got an easily accessible mate to solder it just buy a cheap iron and two pairs of pliers. The thick wires used in gearboxes conduct heat as well as electricity and the wires will get plenty hot enough where you're inevitably holding them. Having a second person holding the wires in place is really useful too.

Simple soldering tips:

- Do everything you can to keep the two parts you're soldering still. A moving part will give a rubbish joint that will break apart in no time.

- Get the wires nice and hot before applying the solder. That way the flux doesn't burn off before you're ready to make the joint.

- Use a small blob of molten solder on the iron to conduct the heat from the iron onto the wires. Then add more when the wires are up to temperature.

- A fast solder joint is a good solder joint. If you're having to wait for solder to flow around the wires probably aren't hot enough when you started applying solder.

- Most good wire insulation melts at temperatures much higher than a soldering iron. Unfortunately most gearboxes are wired on a budget and they don't have expensive wires. This means that the insulation may well melt near the joint and near the pliers. Plan for it and it'll be a pleasant experience if it doesn't happen.
            Paypal does not protect you as a seller or buyer. Don't believe the hype.

UK Virtual Assistant services: http://www.seekingserenity.co.uk/

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Wourgh Find out more about Wourgh
            Working...
            X