Help! Screw has rounded off!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Screw has rounded off!

Hey guys, trying to take apart my tavor for the 3rd time due to more problems, anyway, there's a small hex screw that secures the gearbox to the body, and the damn thing has rounded off, so basically i cannot take out the gearbox until this small screw is removed, but there's no way i'm getting it out with a hex tool (it needs a 2mm hex tool)

PLEASE HELP! I need to get into the damn gun!

thanks

Re: Help! Screw has rounded off!

Picture, i would say drill it out but its too thin really to drill it out and stick a screw in it to undo it :/

Comment

is it a dome head if so cut a slot if not undo by tapping it anti clock wise

Comment

here is an image, it's the best i can get, it's in the magwell too, i'd say the magwell is about 2-3inches deep.

ta

Comment

You could try some torx bits if you can find some small enough. Gently tap one in which is slightly oversized and the teeth on the torx will grip the metal if you`re lucky. Otherwise it`s a case of drilling the head off.

Comment

Try gluing an Allen key into the screw with apoxy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

try a flat head screwdriver (small head ) the same with as the widest part of the hex tap it in gently and this will get it out

We can't fight for airsoft without your support. To join or for more information Please take a look at www.ukapu.org.uk

Comment

torxhead bit or flathead screwdriver. Both have worked for me in the past

Comment

Right, i don't have a flathead small enough to tap into it, i tried tapping a torx piece into it, but ended up in it bending, and as for drilling it, i really wouldn't know what to do/feel confident to do it...

So glueing may be the best idea, so what do i need to do? Use super glue or something of the kind? IF so, i shall do it now, and leave it to set over night...

thanks

Comment

araldite

Comment

got any apoxy glue if so mix a little up and dab the end of the allen key into it then into the screw allow to dry this will set and in effect reform the rounded off part of the screw and alow its removal
                      Last edited by paulh; 15 May, 2011, 22:47. Reason: spelling as usual:)

We can't fight for airsoft without your support. To join or for more information Please take a look at www.ukapu.org.uk

Comment

Originally posted by joshh1512 View Post
                        Right, i don't have a flathead small enough to tap into it, i tried tapping a torx piece into it, but ended up in it bending, and as for drilling it, i really wouldn't know what to do/feel confident to do it...

So glueing may be the best idea, so what do i need to do? Use super glue or something of the kind? IF so, i shall do it now, and leave it to set over night...

thanks
                        If you have to buy some go to willkinsons if you have one near, it will only cost a couple of quid for their own brand. Cheap at half the price

Comment

will head to b&q tomorrow, will need to find some sort of replacement for it...

So what do i do? The araldite comes with 2 tubes, one red one white, do i mix the two together on a paper towel, dab the hex key in it, then place it into the screw, then how long do i leave it to set?

And then after that, it should litterally just unscrew?

ta!

Comment

Yep you got it, best to leave over night if you can. I will look in my box tomorrow to see if I have a spare one you can replace it with

Comment

It's gonna be two screws if possible, for some reason it only came with one in the first place.

Thanks alot for the offer mate, let me know if you do and i'll give you a couple of quid, thanks

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

joshh1512 Find out more about joshh1512
                              Working...
                              X