gears just won't fit in properly?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: gears just won't fit in properly?!

The whole reason it's got a spring on it, is so that it pushes against the gear to catch in the anti reversal notches.

it may be a little bit fiddly for you but basically push it clockwise so it sits on the other side of the gear when you drop it back in.

It should then make a clicking noise every time you rotate the motor gear, that is how you know you have put it in the right way.

But in the first photo of it being slanted, it didn't look like the anti reversal latch was in?
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." - Napolean

Comment

Originally posted by slick63 View Post
      on the 3rd pic down the latch isn`t installed but the gear is at an angle
      Good point that
      sigpic

Comment

It may be that having the anti reversal latch helps keep the gear level. It would be on the side thats dipping down, underneath it. Give it a go and post a before and after picture!

Comment

The ARL should be under tension on the right hand side of the Bevel gear.

If the bevel gear was shimmed right, as in only a tiny ammount of movement take the shimms from the top of the gear and place them underneath. So you can still get a good part of the pinion under it. DON'T just stick some new shims under the bevel gear unless there is room in the gear box to do so when fully screwed together.

This is a V2 gear box but shows a much better fit, between pinion and bevel.

Last edited by North West Outpost; 18 May, 2011, 23:18. Reason: Can't spell for 5hit sometimes!
          Gun tech.

AIRSOFTERS.........Load of Balls.!

http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...r-Offizier-M41

Comment

the top of the ARL will be located by the hole on the top half of the gearbox you may find it pulls it 0.1mm enough out of the way for clearance i like your thinking but unless you can prove it with top and bottom casings on im still thinking shimming.

"So what are you suggesting? It is a problem with shimming? I just don't see how it could be, it was perfect till i opened up the gearbox, not as though shims have gone missing?!"

The most common cuase of incorrect shimming is when players open up the gearboxes take off the top casing and not notice shims underneath then they fall off. and the same when they lift up the gears...

I know it sounds simple but i quite often give training and when watching new starts its often what happens. Youll see veterans be very conscious of the shims when taking off the casing and removing gears. Although vets usually check and redo shimming anyway, if youve got a working gearbox and you arnt replacing gears or bushings you can by being carefull and with no knowledge of shimming get away with it.... Its something vets tend to do instictively like checking compression its not something i think about any more i just do every time.

You can add as many shims as you need to as long as the spur gear still makes good contact with the bevel, theres no rule that it has to be any way. As a rule you shim as low as possible. But you shim whats nessary. Notice in your picture how theres lots of shims on the sector gear but none on the under side of the bevel. But there is in a later pic. Also you could raise the spur if you like to match the bevel. You have flush fit bearings so theres plenty of room for shimming.

Dont forget also that without the upper casing on the bevel will be knocked out of place by a casual fart, the motor pushing agasint it will easierly move it out of postion, yes i think it needs more shims underneath but i dont think it needs to be as high as you think.

When i shim up i assemble the shell with at least 3 screws about 15 times.

1 gear then the next then the next then all 3. spining them each time checking for free smooth spinning with no up and down movemnt or grinding or noise.

Comment

Problemo sorted, jesus christ how did i miss something so stupid?! Thanks alot guys, gonna sort it out properlly tomorrow when i'm not nackered, will keep you all posted!

Cheers

Comment

I open and close the gear box as many times as it needs to be done untill I get it right.

Then I do as in the pic above to get the motor somewhere near. It's unlikely to be exact but way better than just blindly ramming it in....erm...but that's another story...:D
                Gun tech.

AIRSOFTERS.........Load of Balls.!

http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...r-Offizier-M41

Comment

i believe the usual response by this forum involves a / then the word face and then palm.

Comment

Right, putting it back together now, so do you reccomend i put some shims on the bevel to level it all out richard?

Also, one of the bearings/bushings, the top right one, seems pretty lose, should it be dead tight in? You litterally tap it with a finger and it moves out of place? What could be the cause of this, or is it normal? It aint gonna shoot off in the middle of using the gun is it lol...?

Comment

Pop some loctite around the bearing and put it back in situ, if it`s loose it will possibly spin in the casing and ruin it.

Comment

Yup bearing lock, basically red loctite. It they need to be fixed and thus you have a consistent base to shim from.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

joshh1512 Find out more about joshh1512
                        Working...
                        X