barrel upgrade query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• barrel upgrade query

I have been looking at the various barrels that i can get for my tm g3 sg1 without a price limit for a few hours now and i seem to have it pretty much sussed out as far as i know

So what i came up with was that the KM head teflon ones are the best make for aeg barrels due to a few factors and problems with the other makes and just general better performance. I also decided that i could easily squeeze another 4cm of barrel into my g3 sg1 without needing a suppressor, so i was looking for the 509mm barrels instead of the 469mm the g3 sg1s usualy take. If this is a problem in any way like me needing to change my cylinder or something then i would rather just get a 469 and save myself the trouble so please say if it is.

Ok so finally i find one at a American site for £42 shipped which is 509mm by 6.04mm with a TN (teflon) coating. If anyone can recomend anything that would be better overall not just for the price or if there are any problems with length or diameter i am using then help would be greatly appreciated as this is my first tightbore i have bought.

Thanks Nick
    For sale:

-Splitting M4
    -MP5 Parts
    -MP7a1
    -M9 Magazine

Re: barrel upgrade query

not sure how you came up with those as the best but basically the most popular or best barrel is often dictacted by availibility and price.. If its always in stock, gets good reviews and is a good price it becomes the most popular.

Its the airsoft way.

Comment

It might be visible through the flash hider 509mm is pushing it for keeping the barrel unnoticed, but you won't need to change the cylinder because the G3 SG1 ones are already unported.

I bought a KM barrel when I used one for my G3 SG1, but it didn't make that great an airseal with a TM rubber (the barrel is slightly thinner on the outer diameter), they reccomended using a KM hop up rubber as they are the only ones KM can guarantee are fully compatible. Well worth the money if you can find them though! That's what I did when the marui hop up rubber was a bit loose, it is a great barrel and the upgrade was VERY noticeable from a standard marui barrel.
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." - Napolean

Comment

Originally posted by richardy View Post
        not sure how you came up with those as the best but basically the most popular or best barrel is often dictacted by availibility and price.. If its always in stock, gets good reviews and is a good price it becomes the most popular.

Its the airsoft way.
        so what make would you say is the best then?

and hunter andy you say they are good barrels but i would need to replace my hop up rubber to a km one? I already have a new guarder hop up rubber in now...
        For sale:

-Splitting M4
        -MP5 Parts
        -MP7a1
        -M9 Magazine

Comment

The tm hop units pretty flawed on the g3 sg1, its like putting upgrades on a skoda.

I would do the notch mod first before a new barrel then you can be sure of an accuracy upgrade.

The sgs problem is that its barrel can move left or right freely. It can do it on some more than others depending on age and the barrel thats in there / hop c clip condition.

The c clip which plugs into the barrel and locates the barrel is "meant" to be what holds it in place. Sometimes becuase of the "cut" on the aftermarket barrel it holds it better than the standard tm barrel so your getting an upgrade in accuracy simply becuase the barrel moves less, the players then happy and thinks is upgraded barrel is the best ever.

What you can do is turn the c clip up side down and clamp it that way, then add a bit of resin hard glue or something into the under side of the c clip. When you look at the barrel that part of the c clip hovers over a cut in the barrel, you then sand it down when its dry so its thin enough. It wont be the strongest mod in the world but it should be enough to prevent the barrel moving on its own or accidently becuase it now sits in the cut out as well as the side clips.. the clip would now have to be completely moved out of place in order for the barrel to twist... if thats happening easierly maybe its new hop time, if there is such a thing for the sg1.

I call it my polishing a turd mod or notch mod.

Comment

The tm hop units pretty flawed on the g3 sg1, its like putting upgrades on a skoda.

I would do the notch mod first before a new barrel then you can be sure of an accuracy upgrade.

The sgs problem is that its barrel can move left or right freely. It can do it on some more than others depending on age and the barrel thats in there / hop c clip condition.

The c clip which plugs into the barrel and locates the barrel is "meant" to be what holds it in place. Sometimes becuase of the "cut" on the aftermarket barrel it holds it better than the standard tm barrel so your getting an upgrade in accuracy simply becuase the barrel moves less, the players then happy and thinks is upgraded barrel is the best ever.

What you can do is turn the c clip up side down and clamp it that way, then add a bit of resin hard glue or something into the under side of the c clip. When you look at the barrel that part of the c clip hovers over a cut in the barrel, you then sand it down when its dry so its thin enough. It wont be the strongest mod in the world but it should be enough to prevent the barrel moving on its own or accidently becuase it now sits in the cut out as well as the side clips.. the clip would now have to be completely moved out of place in order for the barrel to twist... if thats happening easierly maybe its new hop time, if there is such a thing for the sg1.

I call it my polishing a turd mod or notch mod.
            ye i have heard about this problem before and have alrady found a way of fixing it but what barrel could you recomend that is better than the km barrel because i am looking to upgrade my barrel.
            For sale:

-Splitting M4
            -MP5 Parts
            -MP7a1
            -M9 Magazine

Comment

just thought about the fact that i am buying a barrel that is not desighned for a sg1 so would the hole for the c clip be in the right place and right size? also i forgot to mention tanio koba hop twist barrels, because my gun only has a m100 i assume it should work realy well with this barrel and i have heard great things about them all be it the large price; and on another lus side to me buying on of them i would not have to buy a new km hop up rubber. What do you all think?
              For sale:

-Splitting M4
              -MP5 Parts
              -MP7a1
              -M9 Magazine

Comment

Have decided not to go for tanio koba but for either KM or Prometheus. I have found a nice prommy for £50 posted and a KM for £40 posted. Which one should i go for because they both seem to be great barrels but i cannot decide which would be best. What experience have you all had with these two barrel makes and will it make a large difference because i am spending forty fifty quid on an upgrade here although accuracy and range is inportant to me.
                For sale:

-Splitting M4
                -MP5 Parts
                -MP7a1
                -M9 Magazine

Comment

promy barrel...

im biased though, promtheus supported the next gen platform with a range of parts so i support prometheus :P

If you can source one try and get a firefly hop rubber and flat nub combo.

Comment

promy barrel...

im biased though, promtheus supported the next gen platform with a range of parts so i support prometheus :P

If you can source one try and get a firefly hop rubber and flat nub combo.
                    ok prommy was the way i was swaying but what is a flat nub combo is that the thing that pushes the hop rubber? i understand about the hop rubber and people say they are good but i have just put in classic army hop rubber which are meant to be really good so is it worth selling that and upgrading?
                    For sale:

-Splitting M4
                    -MP5 Parts
                    -MP7a1
                    -M9 Magazine

Comment

i like the flat nub as its flatter and pushes down more on the rubber, its designed more for m4s which have the wider hole i nthe hop unit, it fills the whole gap, both moving less and pushing down a wider area but the firefly set as in both the rubber and the nub arnt cheap or easy to find. Most of the shops, if not all the shops who stock them keep them for in house upgrades.

In fact a little mod ive been doing with when installing firefly rubbers is to "open" up the barrel cut with a needle file, making it wider allows more of the nub to push down and more of the "fingers" from the firefly rubber to come through, they can be a pig to install this mod makes it easier.

Comment

i like the flat nub as its flatter and pushes down more on the rubber, its designed more for m4s which have the wider hole i nthe hop unit, it fills the whole gap, both moving less and pushing down a wider area but the firefly set as in both the rubber and the nub arnt cheap or easy to find. Most of the shops, if not all the shops who stock them keep them for in house upgrades.

In fact a little mod ive been doing with when installing firefly rubbers is to "open" up the barrel cut with a needle file, making it wider allows more of the nub to push down and more of the "fingers" from the firefly rubber to come through, they can be a pig to install this mod makes it easier.
                        i think i will have spent enogh money ugrading it for now and will save me the hassel of cutting up my new prommy. But do you think the new prommy will give me better results than my stock tm barrel and to what extent?
                        For sale:

-Splitting M4
                        -MP5 Parts
                        -MP7a1
                        -M9 Magazine

Comment

According to propergander you should see an increase in full auto accuracy due to the stabilising affect of the weight of the steel barrel. The 6.03 will give you a tighter seal and there a small increase in fps, so more speed to target.

The Long term benifits as well from a scratch / dirt resistant hard inner surface.

All makes sense..

Its not as obvious as fitting an upgrade spring in benifits, but i still believe they are a nice upgrade even if they are a luxury upgrade.

Comment

ok thanks mate you have helped me decide what i want to do and given me all the facts cheers!
                            For sale:

-Splitting M4
                            -MP5 Parts
                            -MP7a1
                            -M9 Magazine

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

wilko129 Find out more about wilko129
                            Working...
                            X