X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best BB weight for a 420fps DMR?

OK, this is a bit of a new area for me.

Like many people, I made the mistake of buying a sniper rifle as one of my first guns and, while I enjoyed using it, Dragon Valley (the nearest site to me) limit all guns to 350fps due to the close ranges involved, which made 400fps+ a waste of space in the gun cabinet. While I had it though, and when I was able to use it, I found that 0.36 BBs gave me pretty good results.

I've now taken the DMR plunge and bought a G&G M14 Veteran. As this comes with a pre-upgraded gearbox and a roughly 420fps spring, I'm wondering what weight BBs to use.

My gut instinct is to go for the 0.36 again, as the rifle will be firing at roughly the same velocity. But, I'm not sure if an AEG running at those speeds will have any different characteristics to a boltie. I don't play that often (about once every one or two months), so I also can't decide if spending a lot of money on BBs is a waste of money as I'll be sat on them for ages, or good sense as I'll be sat on them for ages

For information, I've got a harder hop rubber on the way as I've been told they leave the standard one in even though the 'box is totally rebuilt.

Any input would be welcome guys

Full wood and metal DMR goodness:D:

sigpic

Re: Best BB weight for a 420fps DMR?

You'd be about bang on with the .36s, I might be inclined to try a few .3s just to be certain tho if you've got any around. As you know it'd be a case of trial and error but I reckon the .36s would be the weight to use.

Comment

Definitely be a bit of trial and error. I would start with .36's and see how you go. I have found that .40's tend to perform well >450fps but (depending on the gun) you can struggle to apply enough effective "hop" below that.

With a DMR, it can be tempting to fire off the follow-up shot quicker than would would with a bolty, so I found it difficult not to go through higher volumes of ammo.... .30's come in handy here as good quality ones can be picked up reasonably priced!
      bought [bawt]
      verb
      Simple past tense and past participle of buy.
      brought [brawt]
      verb
      Simple past tense and past participle of bring.

Comment

Originally posted by Ali View Post
        With a DMR, it can be tempting to fire off the follow-up shot quicker than would would with a bolty, so I found it difficult not to go through higher volumes of ammo.... .30's come in handy here as good quality ones can be picked up reasonably priced!
        Good point. I had originally planned to get a couple of midcaps for it, but I've decided to stick with the one supplied highcap and just not take any spare BBs out into the field with me. Even then, if I get anywhere near a highcap load in a day I'll be chewing through quite a lot of money on top of my £50 fuel bill to get to the site and the walk on fee
        sigpic

Comment

.12's

/thread
          Lady Astor (first woman MP in the House of Commons): "Mr Churchill, if you were my husband, I'd put poison in your tea."
          Winston (getting unsteadily to his feet): "Madam, if I were your husband ... I'd drink it."

Comment

I Found that 0.28-0.3 Madbull BB the best for 425 and have run them in My M14 DMR CA SR25 and Ptw DMR. they are cheap but very high quality.
            in my builds I run
            0.25 300-380
            0.3 400-449
            0.36 450-490
            0.43 500-700
            0.83 600-750FPS ( high wind)

Comment

... why do you have guns doing above 500fps?

Comment

Why does it matter ? I have like 3 guns that can run over 500fps.. Doesn't mean I use them .

Same goes for him... He may have a huge garden and enjoy plinking
                sigpic

Comment

0.28 guarders, decent amount and decent weight. Anyone on a 425 dmr thinking its suddenly going to be a sniper is quite mistaken, treat it as an aeg with a better speed to target at range.

Comment

When I had my SR25 and it was running at 430fps, I stuck with .28's. Worked quite well but as it was said, the temptation to "double tap" was always there. Used to go through quite a few rounds.
                    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I'm going to give it a try with some 0.30s to begin with and play around from there.

Much appreciated.

Robin
                      sigpic

Comment

I had problems getting enough hop on a .28 until i fitted a harder hop rubber, then i could over hop a .36! was hitting targets at 68M measured with .28s

Originally posted by Metalbody
                        pulling one off certainly feels good

Comment

Sorry for being off topic Robin, but is that a short M14 mag that I see in your rifle?

Comment

I was running madbull .28s in my TM M14 that was doing 425fps and these are the shooting results I achieved with them (bottom of the review)

http://www.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=27202

Hope that helps.
                            WTB: TM HI-CAPA 5.1! CASH WAITING! PM ME!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Caveira Find out more about Caveira
                            Working...
                            X