Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brand new ICS piston stripped after first game

Hi!
    Just need people's advice on what to do with my friends ICS CXP.
    He used 11v lipo before on his stock ICS and I blamed that on why he stripped his piston.
    I changed the piston and he is now using 9.6v NIMH.
    We went out to play on Sunday and before the game ends the new piston is already stripped!
    I've been searching the net for possible reasons but only came across stripped 1st, 2nd and 3rd tooth.
    However, this one the shredding occurs at the end of the piston.
    When i replaced the piston I checked the angle of engagement is spot on.
    Also checked the lower gears and there's no chipping or missing teeth.
    The pinion gear is also new.
    Here are a couple of piccies:

MY FEEDBACK: http://www.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.p...=pyro+feedback

Re: Brand new ICS piston stripped after first game

Looks like something is slowinig your piston down. Is it a standard motor?

I would deffinatly use a vented piston head.
    Gun tech.

AIRSOFTERS.........Load of Balls.!

http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...r-Offizier-M41

Comment

pre engagement?
      sigpic

Comment

Possible but the standard motors are not very fast. That's why I didnt mention that.
        Gun tech.

Comment

I had the same problem using a Systema piston in my ICS M4. Would be very interested to see what the problem is, though my stock piston and the Madbull Piston 02 have both worked great in there for 1000's of shots...

Comment

Where has the metal tooth gone?
            Others till I die

Comment

It looks like the demise of the metal tooth was caused by the wear on the other teeth so it didn't mesh. To the extent the sector gear has snapped it off.
              Gun tech.

Comment

Is the gearbox lubed, shimmed and rotating freely if you spin the gears by hand?

Comment

Right first off

If it was new why did you open it up, you should have taken it back to the people for them to sort it out

Secondly what spring and battery were you using,

Thirdly that really only happens when the sector is over shimmed and when you have installed a bearing spring guide with an already high fps gun

But you have just voided the warranty by taking it apart

So by a new element or scs nylon fibre piston and vented piston head and get back in the game

Comment

It can be caused by a bb jammed in the barrel and the air has no where to go slowing the piston down.

I can't see how an over shimmed gear box will do that to a piston. It has to be something stopping or slowing the piston...Not gears. Or it's silly rof and its the piston (to heavy for what ever reason), piston head/ spring.

Potentially overhopping with heavyier bb's could do something like this too.
                    Last edited by North West Outpost; 21 June, 2011, 13:24.
                    Gun tech.

Comment

Hi!
                      Sorry should have made it clearer. It's an old cxp. The only new part is the piston.
                      After the original piston stripped my friend bought a new ICS polycarbonate piston replacement and I fitted it and after the first game it stripped already. He just use a 9.6v NIMH battery
                      It is completely stock the motor is ICS turbo 3000 and the spring Im not sure but its shooting at 335 to 345 fps. All the gears are rotating freely and shimmed. I used ICS gear lube for the moving parts. Also checked the AOE before putting it back together so I doubt it if it's pre-engagement. The piston I lubed the sides and its moving backwards and forwards without any resistance. The BB's used was .20
                      The piston head is not vented although the cylinder is.

Im agreeing with the slowing of the piston but just wondered why would it do that?
                      I cleaned the barrel before the game and set the hopup so definitely not overhopping.

Comment

You can forget about the lower half of the gear box. If it was anything there if anything it would give the piston MORE time to return to the cylinder head ready for the next cycle.

When you put the new piston in make sure it moves back wards and forwards without slowing down or catching. Just cylinder/ head and piston and shake the gear box back wards and forwards. No need to go mad just to make sure it is loose. Use a vented pison head, no bearings. Then you should be ok.
                        Gun tech.

Comment

ive had two ics pistons strip in a m4 the same way, both had resulted from the last metal tooth shearing off .
                          when he replaced the piston body did he replace the metal tooth or just swap the broken plate over not realizing.
                          third time i used a metal tooth from a jg and had ho problems since
                          m14/l1a1/thompson/sten/sig552/kac pdw/svd/l85a2/mp40/m16vn/car15/type56/mac10/scorpion/m79/m1 carbine/m60vn/stoner63/vfc bar/xm177e2/grease gun/ar57/m1911/uzi/aksu/mp5 b&t/ppsh41/mpl/diy sog rpd/acm m500/galil/

Comment

Originally posted by midas View Post
                            Use a vented pison head, no bearings. Then you should be ok.
                            Is it ok to use a vented piston head on a short barreled gun like the cxp? Will it not lose compression?

Comment

Originally posted by Pyro View Post
                              Is it ok to use a vented piston head on a short barreled gun like the cxp? Will it not lose compression?
                              nah it'll be fine, it actually helps the volume of air inside the cylinder match the volume of the barrel better a few other reasons
                              Team Ballin' - "It sounds dirty because it is"

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Pyro Find out more about Pyro
                              Working...
                              X