M4 Gearbox Locked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M4 Gearbox Locked

Basically several months ago spetznazdave sent my M4 and several others to be serviced at Z1 at great cost. During the "service" Z1 replaced the whole gearbox in my M4 since it was essentially shagged (along with several other things), but the first skirmish I took it out on the gearbox completely looked up.

It was running fine for most of the day, but at the start of the second to last game (I think) it wouldn't fire on semi any more, you couldn't even pull the trigger as if the safety was still on. I carried on the game using just full auto, but then halfway through the same thing happened, couldn't pull the trigger.

So basically I can't pull the trigger on my M4, as if the whole gearbox has locked or the safety has somehow locked on. Does anyone know what might have caused this, and what (and how much) it would take to fix this?

Re: M4 Gearbox Locked

you you know what GB it is mate?
    and are you sure its locked? could be half wound but the wirs have bust an d its resting on the anti-reversal latch.
    if it is locked then im affraid you will have to open the GB. for are you know theres crap stoping stuff moving.

Comment

Could also be that the retaining spring on the safety switch has come loose, or the trigger has become misaligned. It shouldn't happen and might mean the spring is bent/ disformed.

What you have sounds like a mechanical problem not an electrical one, as you can't even pull the trigger. So I doubt it has anything to do with the gears not turning/ wires if you can't even pull the trigger to make the contact for the motor to run.

There's really no other option than to take it apart or have someone look at it though, bad luck.
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." - Napolean

Comment

ok mate hope this helps but it sounds like from the way your sayin is " full auto fast all day til one point . half speed . stop " if thats correct and you cant even pull the trigger , u may have sheared a gear tooth and its jammed in the gears resulting in oblitarating the mech box setup and its pushed the bearings against the selector plate, dont try moving the trigger with too much force or will end up in "snap" new selector plate needed , or it may be the safety has actually fused inplace .

but as man above said.

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam's_razor

Comment

Originally posted by sniperiain View Post
            you you know what GB it is mate?
            I think it's either G&P or G&G (pretty sure it was G&P they put in).

I suppose I just won't know until I get it back and can open it up. Anyone know of any good guides to disassembling a V2. Gearbox?

Comment

www.Mechbox.com

You'll find you have to pause the video alot whilst taking it apart.

Just make sure you have a clean workspace, I warn you now, it is fairly fiddly to put everything back inplace correctly once taking it apart it may take you some time to do.

Take special care when opening up the gearbox, as shims on the gears may fall off, and reshimming is not something you will want to do if you are unexperienced.

Comment

Originally posted by HunterAndy View Post
                www.Mechbox.com

You'll find you have to pause the video alot whilst taking it apart.

Just make sure you have a clean workspace, I warn you now, it is fairly fiddly to put everything back inplace correctly once taking it apart it may take you some time to do.

Take special care when opening up the gearbox, as shims on the gears may fall off, and reshimming is not something you will want to do if you are unexperienced.
                Brilliant, cheers buddy.

I might chicken out and find someone that knows what they're up to :p

Comment

Why don't you contact Zeroone? If it broke on the first skirmish then there was obviously something wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuke View Post
                    Why don't you contact Zeroone? If it broke on the first skirmish then there was obviously something wrong.
                    We did. They basically told us "Not our problem"

Comment

That's deeply dissapointing, they seem to have been willing to change my STAR mags that broke after one skirmish. Not sure why a brand new gearbox can be any different.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuke View Post
                        That's deeply dissapointing, they seem to have been willing to change my STAR mags that broke after one skirmish. Not sure why a brand new gearbox can be any different.
                        Yeah, tell me about it. IIRC of the 4 guns we sent them, only 1 didn't develop problems soon after. I think the exact words Dave was told were "It doesn't sound like a problem with something we fixed so it's not our problem", which considering they pretty much fixed the entire internals, is a load of bull poo.

This was all about 6 months ago now though, so it's a bit academic (I've only just got around to sorting it now as I've been busy finishing my degree )

Comment

Just ring trading standards and see what they have to say about it. If you are paying for work to be carried it it's a legal right to have that work done properly.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

bigdave196 Find out more about bigdave196
                          Working...
                          X