Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

ICS M4 Upper - Sounds stripped but not...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ICS M4 Upper - Sounds stripped but not...?

Hi guys, got a rifle here that I'm working on. Now most of you will know my work is reputable, but I've hit a brick wall with this one... and it's hit me 'ard as stuck on this one for ages. It's like my old AA R85A1 - had a similar problem. Everything cycled, bar the piston. (Shimming...? Read on)

Basically, the gears are turning fine (even with trigger held; no pinion gear is being worn, no gears being worn), but the piston doesn't cycle...

When I had put everything back together after shimming etc, the M4 could get through about 20 rounds or so, then just started sounding like a grinder, or electric saw... you know - that sound when the pistons stripped...?

Well the piston isn't stripped. I've used another piston where the teeth have started to wear down slightly, but same story.

Surely ICS can't expect people to have a perfect condition piston for them to be able to use it?

Please get in touch if you want general help. Please report problematic posts.

Take responsibility for your choices. If you break any rule in life, you should be held accountable.

Re: ICS M4 Upper - Sounds stripped but not...?

are you sure its not the motor pinion gear adjustment , its okay cycling the gearbox no load but slipping under load with the top reciever replaced
    m14/l1a1/thompson/sten/sig552/kac pdw/svd/l85a2/mp40/m16vn/car15/type56/mac10/scorpion/m79/m1 carbine/m60vn/stoner63/vfc bar/xm177e2/grease gun/ar57/m1911/uzi/aksu/mp5 b&t/ppsh41/mpl/diy sog rpd/acm m500/galil/

Comment

Hmm, don't know...

I was always under the impression that if the motor is turning gears which are locked in place via the use of bearings/ bushings, and that those gears turn, there can be no reason why the gun shouldn't cycle.

Take responsibility for your choices. If you break any rule in life, you should be held accountable.

Comment

Is the upper half of the box tight in the upper reciever?

Comment

ICS motors have one disadvantages: pinion gear loves slides The pinon gear is pressed onto shaft ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interference_fit ) is not blocked by any screw, bolt, or is not fitted to D-shape ended shaft...

Buy stock motor in good condition ( gg,gp,cyma,jg,src, element ) and enjoy airsofting

Comment

I have heard a few of these where it turns out to be what you least expect. Try a different motor Gaffa.

So far as Im aware, ICS gears and pistons are all interchangable.

I had one in a little while ago that was giving me head aches. Wouldn't stop stripping pistons, not the last tooth but the rack itself.

Have you corrected aoe.
            Gun tech.

AIRSOFTERS.........Load of Balls.!

http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...r-Offizier-M41

Comment

if its not the pinion gear at fault ,double check the gear teeth as i had a marui m4 that would fire fine then next minute stripped box noise, release ar latch then fine for indefinate period till it happened again.
              after checking about three times found a deformed tooth on the intermidiate gear and when it stopped at this exact position the gearbox just free wheeled as could not pick up again
              m14/l1a1/thompson/sten/sig552/kac pdw/svd/l85a2/mp40/m16vn/car15/type56/mac10/scorpion/m79/m1 carbine/m60vn/stoner63/vfc bar/xm177e2/grease gun/ar57/m1911/uzi/aksu/mp5 b&t/ppsh41/mpl/diy sog rpd/acm m500/galil/

Comment

Originally posted by Gaffa View Post
                Hi guys, got a rifle here that I'm working on. Now most of you will know my work is reputable, but I've hit a brick wall with this one... and it's hit me 'ard as stuck on this one for ages. It's like my old AA R85A1 - had a similar problem. Everything cycled, bar the piston. (Shimming...? Read on)

Basically, the gears are turning fine (even with trigger held; no pinion gear is being worn, no gears being worn), but the piston doesn't cycle...

When I had put everything back together after shimming etc, the M4 could get through about 20 rounds or so, then just started sounding like a grinder, or electric saw... you know - that sound when the pistons stripped...?

Well the piston isn't stripped. I've used another piston where the teeth have started to wear down slightly, but same story.

Surely ICS can't expect people to have a perfect condition piston for them to be able to use it?
                i would take anoter look at your bushings ....
                i had bearings in my ics m4 which decided to give up during a game your problem sounds verry much like when this happened to me

Comment

Wow! The motor height was the issue. And it seems one silver motor height disc isn't enough either...

All seems to be fine now. However, despite me shimming for about an hour, she seems louder... Mind you, these ICS' are loud, right?
                  Last edited by Gaffa; 2 July, 2011, 19:30.

Comment

Indeed they are

Comment

~ 98db. Which is the same, or at least very similar (95) to my Star MG36 which I think is a lot quieter! Meh. That's indoors though.

Comment

Doesn't 3db mean double the loudness??? I seem to remember something like that inbetween drinking and girls...No no sorry college.
                        Gun tech.

AIRSOFTERS.........Load of Balls.!

http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...r-Offizier-M41

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Gaffa Nicknamed "Gaffa" because I can be bossy, but get the job done! I'm built for comfort, not speed... Find out more about Gaffa
                        Working...
                        X