problem with ICS L85A2 (SA80) and ICS M120 spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problem with ICS L85A2 (SA80) and ICS M120 spring

A sorry tale of an ICS spring being incompatible with an ICS gun.

ICS fit M120 springs as standard to thier L85A2 and L86A2 guns.

My new ICS L85A2 had been re-sprung by the well known UK supplier to comply with UK fps limits.

However, I removed the full auto facility making the gun a single shot to use as a DMR.

So far so good and as a site I use has a 450fps single shot aeg limit I thought I would fit an ICS M120 spring. My thought process was it was the standard spring fitted by ICS and at sub 400fps it would not be too 'hot' and therefore less destructive on the gearbox.

Played my first game on Sunday with my new set up and despite several annoying lock ups the gun performed well until 4pm when it jammed solid. As it was near to the end of play I decided not to do a field strip and that I would look at it on Monday.

Monday comes, try firing the gun, still locked up. Try fully charged battery etc etc and nothing. I split the receiver and remove the gearbox. I remove the spring and notice that it is bent and twisted to bu**ery. (see pic). It looks like a kid has been playing with it. The anodised colour is also worn off on areas of the spring where the coils appear to have 'unwound' to larger than thier original diameter. The spring is no longer straight and has a very slight S type shape to it's length.

Bearing in mind this has only been fired semi auto and has probably fired less than 300 rounds I am somewhat concerned!

About the Author

Collapse

Working...
X