Battery Modification Possible (SG1)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Modification Possible (SG1)?

Hey guys, I may have done something a tiny bit stupid.

My gun is a TM hk51, a g3 variant with a solid stock. Everywhere I have read, I have found that these guns take large batteries, and me being naive, I thought that one large battery would be the same size as another large battery, give or take a few mil. So I got a 9.6v battery for it, when the stock one was an 7.2. Naturally, this battery is a tad too long. At best the current stock will fit an 8.4V

First fix I can think of is to stick a G3 SG-1 buttplate on it as it looks roughly 2x longer than the standard one, does anyone know if it actually extends the battery compartment space? i.e. the end of the battery would fit inside of it? I only need about 1-1.5cm extra room lengthwise.

2nd question is all the batteries look pretty modular. Is is possible to open the packaging up and take 2 cells out, then re-locate them someplace else and wire them up?

That's about it really, I have concidered, but if possible would like to avoid having to use a battery sling. if the worst really comes to worst I'll just wrap the stock in black fabric, but would like to find a somewhat permanant solution for this.

Cheers guys!

Nikolay
    Last edited by Rampage; 19 August, 2009, 13:28.

Re: Batteries and PSG-1 buttplates

Hi there, first thing is first, Mods, I have written PSG1 in the title and content of the message, where I meant SG1, with the slide/clip on butt plate. Could the topic be renamed as 'Battery Modification Possible?' or something similar... I don't seem to be able to find an edit post button for some reason, though the posting rules say that I can...

After a PM I have found, as I suspected, that the buttplate will sadly not extend the battery compartment size. That just leaves the question of is it possible to separate a battery into segments? I have 9.6v NiMH 4300 battery, if that is of any relevance.

Cheers guys, Nikolay

Comment

Re: Battery Modification Possible (SG1)?

Hmm.. well MP5 stocks and G3 stocks are SIMILAR.

My MP5 is supposedly only able to fit a large 8.4, but after a bit of modding I can cram a 9.6 large in there even with a fuse.

Basically take the butt plate off and look into the stock. I don't know if all makes have this, but there should be a sort of 'plate' sticking out which is to stop the battery sliding too far in. If you have this, then try and knock/cut it out. Its sometimes possible to do this without opening the stock up, but if you cant do it then you have to prize the two stock halves apart.

If you're careful, you can prize them apart and 'break' the glue seal, but you can keep the little tabs in place so that it still slots back together nicely. That's what I did to my Mp5, then just have to shove hard to get the large 9.6 in there. The stock bulges a little at the seams near the 'neck' where it meets the gun, but it holds together and this isn't very noticable at all.

Hope that helps, might be able to take some pics of mine later if the description isn't clear enough.

EDIT: MP5 butt pads are pretty shallow so I also used a CA33e butt pad to give a bit of room because the wires and connectors were sticking out slightly, and the shallow MP5 pad wouldnt go over them
      Formerly 'Waltzinblack' but thought it was time to incorporate my Team callsign into my name

Comment

Cheers, I noticed that when I was looking at it earlier actually. Just got the trouble of bringing myself to masacre my new toy now... *sigh*.

Any way of splitting the battery up into 2 parts or just converting it into an 8.4v?

Comment

Erm.. well i suppose you could, but personally I wouldn't recommend mucking around with batteries. Someone else with more electrical experience would be in a better position to advise you there
          Formerly 'Waltzinblack' but thought it was time to incorporate my Team callsign into my name

Comment

If it's got a fuse, you could consider taking the fuse out of the circuit to give yourself a little more room.
            sigpic

Comment

take your stock apart, its similer to the mp5 one and there are a couple of support plates twards the body of the gun, these can be removed using a long thin saw (i jsut used a chissile and hammer on mine XD) this will let you use 9.6v battries.
              Your life is only as long as my trigger pull

SAVE AIRSOFT IN SCOTLAND! http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/ScottishGunBan/ YOUR HOBBY NEEDS YOU!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Bachelarius Find out more about Bachelarius
              Working...
              X