Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Servicing

Hi guys,
    Do Rifs require servicing?, I'm new to airsoft, ive bought a 2yr old ICS M4 (full metal), previous owner says it had limited use, shoots well, the gearbox appears loud but i beleive the ICS's are like that. If servicing is required, at what frequency and what is involved.

Regards
    Jon
    ICS M4
    KSC Glock 17
    Classic Army MP5 A5
    sigpic

Re: Servicing

In theory yes, in practice many of us don't touch them from year to year.

I've had my ICS MP5 for over 3 years now and the most that's been done to it is cleaning the barrel. I've been running it on lipo for over a year, including a few games with 11.1v, and it's never missed a beat despite being totally factory standard.

The way I look at it is this. I've never had a bit of diving kit fail, except when it's just been serviced. My old car only went wrong after it had been serviced. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
    sigpic

Comment

I suggest servicing second hand guns when you get them because you never know how much abuse they've actually taken. After that ideally you would give them a going over every 6 months or so but personally I can't really be bothered with that quite a lot of the time, I'd try not to leave it more than a year though. Normally go over all my kit at the beginning of the summer season as I don't get much airsofting done in the winter months. Though I am a bit of a tinkerer, you can get away with longer especially in guns that aren't very high speed or high power.

Comment

Example a tm ak 12 years old opened up and it was like new, opened up a 15 year old sg1 g3 tm and the gearbox front was snapped off yet it was used every week lol, Did my citron c2 need a service this year probably not but I paid for it anyway.

You can adopt a fix it when it breaks mentality or have it serviced yearly it's really up to you. I think there answer is yes you can but whether you do is entirely up to you, if your guns working right it's internal parts are rated for 50000 rounds. At that point nylon bushes and the motor should be showing signs of wear, also slight wear on the piston.

Just like my megan coupe which snapped a cambelt at 60k when book says change cambelt at 70k there's always room for it breaking before or much later.

Comment

Cheers guys,
          How much would a service cost and what would be involved.

Regards
          Jon
          ICS M4
          KSC Glock 17
          Classic Army MP5 A5
          sigpic

Comment

Depending on how technically minded you are, you can do it yourself mate, its nothing special, just opening her up, checking if anythings broken, worn, replacing stuff if it is, checking AOE and shimming and other stuff like that, its not major. Personally, if youve been using it for a while, i would do it as you might catch something before it goes wrong or causes other things to break. But the cost of a service will probably vary depending on the place where you get it done. I do no know however as i service my guns myself.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

griffin2 Find out more about griffin2
            Working...
            X