TM AK74MN Upgrade possibilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TM AK74MN Upgrade possibilities

I want to turn my AK into a reliable long range sniper rifle, it has good range on it at the moment, plus it is fairly accurate but I would like to turn it semi only -not a problem, and push the FPS up to 480ish with .2s but more importantly I am after range and accuracy.

Now the list of extras that I assume I will need are:-

High Torque Gearset
    High Torque Motor
    6.01 barrel (Can I get a twist barrel for this gun?)
    New spring, possibly a 140 or something along those lines
    New Hopup?
    Harder Hop rubber? for the heavier BBs
    New cylinder/piston and head

If I have missed anything off feel free to correct me, also does anyone have any suggestions as to manufacturers/makes etc to use that will integrate well with both the gun and the other parts?

Will also be getting a scope, just so you don't think I have forgotten that
    Thanks in advance for your help guys and gals

Re: TM AK74MN Upgrade possibilities

SHS HT motor
    SHS 1st torque gear-set*
    a twist won't help they are supposedly rated for under 330, pdi or mad bull promy
    m140 shs, element, mad bull
    guarder black*
    shs piston
    pom piston head
    sorbo pad
    clean up you existing cylinder and cylinder head

*not sure on the exact torque gear set you need, but i do know that the she HT motor is very powerful.
    *not sure on the exact hop bucking, but they are recommended

Linky here>> http://airsofttutorials.com

Comment

Is 480 legal for any site, its 500 for bolties?

Comment

^ Indeed. I believe most sites will allow a max of 425fps locked to semi only. This will have to be locked by way of selector plate mod or other physical prevention.

As for parts, I'd start with your barrel and hop first before increasing FPS. Personal preference I guess but you may get the performance you want from it in terms of consistency and range just by changing these, and retain full auto which can be handy at times.

I would pretty much run with Crude Skinny B's reccomendations except for spring. I'd roll a Guarder or Prommy myself, though I have personally found prommy to be the more consistent of the two, they are both good and your mileage may vary, as with anything airsoft. That's just my experience of springs.

6.03 barrel, probably prommy would be my choice. The only madbulls i've used have been in sorter setups and I wasn't that impressed, however it's possible that my expectations were too high or I had a faulty couple.
        A good barrel is useless without a good hop-up however.
        6.01 is probably too tight. TK twist as already said, is pointless in a high FPS setup.
        There is also a thread out there on the internets, that discusses 6.04 barrels as a potentially better option too. Not really looked into it myself, so may be worth digging around for.

I'd also AOE correct the piston while you are in there. Im guessing Crude Skinny B was getting at that with Sorbo pad.

For cylinder and cyl head I would say; are you increasing barrel length from stock? If so you may need to change the cylinder for a non-ported unit if going long.
        Cyl head is usually fine in most cases, but PTFE round the o-ring really will help with air seal if you don't want to replace it.
        Additionally a good air-seal nozzle and tappet plate are a good idea. After all if you are doing DMR you want your shots to be consistent from shot-to-shot. The way to do this is to get a good air-seal.
        The Piston head o-ring may also need to be replaced so factor this into your build.

Hop-Rubber's are very much try and and see what results you get.
        Remember that some hop rubber+barrel combinations just don't work well. I found that prommy barrels + madbull hop rubbers were a waste of time due to prommy barrels being that much thicker than normal, and the madbull hop rubber being thicker, so they didn't fit in my hop units as a combination.
        Consider changing nub for something like an H-Nub for more consistency also.

Once you go breaking into the gearbox, as it's a TM, you will also want to replace the bushes for solid metal ones.
        You'll also want a bearing spring guide.

Another thing not mentioned here is battery. I'd go up to a 7.4v Li-Po to give you better trigger response, with an SHS High Torque motor, it should be much better than standard.
        With this you'd want to change from Tamiya connectors to Deans or XT60 to reduce resistence. With reduced resistence you reduce the heat in the connectors, which is a good thing for the life of the electrical system.
        You may wish to consider fitting a mosfet in the long term to save your trigger contacts, but 7.4 wont really destroy them any where near as fast as 11.1v would, so it's reasonably safe to run without anyway, just understand that they will probably wear about as fast as a 9.6v battery espescially as you will be using single a heck of a lot.

Hope this helps in some way, and remember, this is just my 2p on the matter after my girlfriends M4 DMR project that has been running for the last year.
        Im sure there will be many different opinions out there. Many much better than my own

Comment

Originally posted by Crude Skinny B View Post
          SHS HT motor
          SHS 1st torque gear-set*
          a twist won't help they are supposedly rated for under 330, pdi or mad bull promy
          m140 shs, element, mad bull
          guarder black*
          shs piston
          pom piston head
          sorbo pad
          clean up you existing cylinder and cylinder head

*not sure on the exact torque gear set you need, but i do know that the she HT motor is very powerful.
          *not sure on the exact hop bucking, but they are recommended
          i go with non of these as its a ak74mn which is the recoil shock gearbox and non of that will fit :P

Comment

I say buy a sniper rifle as most sites won't alow above 425fps with an AEG locked to semi :P

Comment

Cheers all, VERY informative!

Firstly I didnt realise that 500 was for bolties only, thought it was for all single/semi so that is an eye opener, will be lowering my expectations to around the 400 mark in view of that.

Yeah, that is the problem that I have seen, because it is the recoil version it is difficult to find parts to fit it, event the mags are different to all other AKs so wondering now if it is worth it with this gun and maybe go for something a little more 'main stream' if you like.

It is all very helpful though, especially BioSniper and Crude Skinny B, will look into maybe increasing the reliability first of all and consistancy, over the next month or so, then look at slowly increasing the range of it with the mods mentioned if they can all be found for the gun, will check it all out BEFORE I start buying anything.

Thanks again all, as usual very helpful.

I already run it on a 7.4Lipo, but found, as a fully auto, the ROF is well below what I wanted it, with semi only though that shouldnt be a problem.

Comment

youll never match a normal guns rof with a recoil gun they arnt designed for that. If thats the direction you want to go sell up as it will sell very quickly on the forums due to the acccurate hop unit.

Search for TM sopmods on the forums most of the parts that fit that fit your ak.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

S3v3n Find out more about S3v3n
                Working...
                X