X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ICS Vs G&G Vs ARES L85A2

Hello guys/gals,

OK, I'm looking to go for a modern British infintary loadout and step away from the american/PMC look. I want to get myself a L85a2 to match, however with all the options available it is proving a difficult choice.

Budget isn't really a problem, I just want to get the best available. I'm not too fussed over which is the closest to the real steel, more for the quality of rifle and reliability. The only criteria I have is to be able to, at some stage put on a DD rail and SUSAT.

I've done a bit of reading around on various forums and review sites. From what I can tell, the ARES version is the closest to the real steel but has a plastic gearbox, and fairly low quality internals which is deffinitely off putting.
    The ICS seems to be pretty good and at a similar price but has compatibility issues.
    The G&G has the electric blow back novelty which from what I've read is often disabled to stop the hook from mashing up the gearbox when it goes, and has fairly decent externals/internals.

I will also be looking to upgrade the rifle, so compatibility for internals is also an issue. I'd mainly be looking at the hop and inner barrel, so out of the box FPS would ideally be as close to 350 as possible as I would not want to touch the gear box.

What is everyone's thoughts/opinions/experiences on these? I hope your advice can steer me and any other readers in the right direction.

Cheers for the help!

Re: ICS Vs G&G Vs ARES L85A2

Sorry also forgot to add that all my current batteries are 7.4v li-po's with the mini adapter not large or deans so this is also an issue.

Also with the optics, ACOG + riser is also an option I'd consider alongside the SUSAT.

Comment

Re: ICS Vs G&G Vs ARES L85A2

Where did you read the Ares has a plastic gearbox, and that the internals are of poor quality?

As far as I know, the Star has a Plastic Gearbox - which is actually very strong, and can handle 420fps consistently on fully automatic. The Ares has a metal gearbox, so no issues despite there being none anyway.

The internals are fine... Electric PTM trigger switch unit is far better than any other and is more reliable, plus the quick change spring system is an added bonus.

Quality of rifle? Well I've dropped my Star 80 a few times and it's fine.

If you think the G&G has decent quality internals, I'll answer this with one word. Piston. It uses an 18 tooth piston, not a 16tooth, which means you'll either need to do a spacer modification in order to uses std 16tooth pistons, or buy the 18 tooth pistons - which are not as easily available.

Oh, and because of the G&G system, you have a pre-cocking feature. If you're not running a huge battery, expect to see some Semi Auto lockups.

Finally, I believe that all models of the SA80, apart from perhaps the LSW or Carbine, use large type battery connectors. Besides, what's the issue of swapping the connectors on your batteries? Tamiya's are out these days - Deans are far better providing lower resistance and better trigger response and ROF, plus XT60's are coming in more and more now anyway...

Just another note - the comparison of L85s have been done to death in many threads in the New Players and Advice section; best to look in there as this thread may as well be closed.

Please get in touch if you want general help. Please report problematic posts.

Take responsibility for your choices. If you break any rule in life, you should be held accountable.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

reb Find out more about reb
      Working...
      X