X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Urgent: Gearbox advice

smashing mate ta
    Originally posted by bravotwozero
    Half of the people on zeroin are ex-sas, or currently serving in the regiment, so you shouldn't have a problem getting some hard information.

Comment

The fast charge current you use should be roughly equal to the number Ah the battery has. So a 4000mAh battery would be fine to charge at 4A. A 3600mAh battery would be better suited to about 3.6A. On the whole, its fairly safe to go over a bit, but bear in mind it does lower the life expectancy of the battery. Personally, I trickle charge all my batteries because I'd like them to last, and I'm never in a hurry.

I'd also like to confirm what Robin was saying about discharge rate differences. Although a lot of batteries have the same discharge rate, a larger battery back can maintain a high discharge rate for longer before the current starts dropping off. The flexing a plastic gearbox (or poorly shimmed gb) undergoes can be enough to twist gears out of line enough to jam or break. Always re-shim the entire gearbox if you intend to change any of the shims.

Comment

As a rule, charge batteries on the slowest you can for long as you can. Using the varipulse and the calculator sticked at the top of this sub forum you can see what settings will take how long.

Comment

so the fast charge only lasts a wee bit then cuts out to trickle, after its done that leave it for as long as a can? 3amp for a 3600 will take 1.44 hours, now this is totally retard but is that jus for a trickle tickle? or that on a fast charge
          Half of the people on zeroin are ex-sas, or currently serving in the regiment, so you shouldn't have a problem getting some hard information.

Comment

ok im buying the parts for the L85 this weekend, goin to get a stainless steel barrel, stainless steel air noozle and stainless steel cylinder head and of course the steel gearbox itselfs, now when im shimming this bad boy, should it be 1 shim each side of the gear? or other way?

Comment

There should be a least one each side yes. You need to add enough shims so that the gears can't move from side to side, but not enough so that they're clamped too tight to move by the gearbox shell.

Also, you should be aiming to align them so that the flats of the gears don't touch each other, but a good amount of tooth still engages. To close and the flats will rub creting resistance, but too far away and only the corners of the teeth with engage, meaking they'll break.

Keep playing with the shimming until it works. Rememver to test the gears with the shell SCREWED together, so they definately aren't too tight,

Comment

thanks for te reply mate, so is that the most normal gear setup though, shim - gear - shim

so ye how will i test the gear movement when its all locked in just try and move it from the outside

Comment

Just put it together with only the gears, no spring or piston, and close the case. If you can feel or hear grinding or you can see sideways parts etc then adjust as necessary
                  TK Airsoft- Take one "from" the team

Army Armament L85A1
                  Tokyo Marui P90
                  HFC M9 Special Forces
                  KSC Glock 18c

Comment

As long as you can get the gears to run smoothly thats what counts, as said it is extremely important to properly tighten the GB shell when shimming (like as tight as you would leave it shut).
                    With shimming, it doesnt necessarily need to have a shim each side, some TM guns i have worked on (including one today) only have one shim on some gears, but they are set very well. Ideally you want to be checking the other possible areas of contact.
                    dsgdreamteam

Comment

Originally posted by Garf3r View Post
                      thanks for te reply mate, so is that the most normal gear setup though, shim - gear - shim

so ye how will i test the gear movement when its all locked in just try and move it from the outside

I said AT LEAST one on each side. Put enough on to stop them moving from side to side. But as said make sure thay aren't too tight and are correct with each other.

Comment

roger that, can some gears need 2 on one side? or would i be adding one on each for somthing like that?

Comment

Which ever spaces them correctly, it depends on what size shims you have. IIRC the ones on the airsoft market don't go thicker than .5mm, so if the clearance is more much more than that on one side then definatly yes.
                          Just play around with them, it can take a while to get it just right, but its just a matter of spacing the gears correctly without too much or too little clearance.
                          dsgdreamteam

Comment

works pefrectly, have to say shimming wasn't the problem today, it was the re-wire process! Because it wa s aplastic to metal gearbox i had to get the solder exact, took many many attempts and a trip to maplin! but in the end, works perfectly, think my charger is on they way out though, as every battery i have i charged the other day, and the all die within 5 minutes

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Garf3r the pen is mighter than the sword... but a bullet silences the writer Find out more about Garf3r
                            Working...
                            X