crack in gearbox case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crack in gearbox case

Hi all, on putting my gearbox back together i noticed that there was a crack at the front, the crack hasn't gone all the way down the gearbox and it still holds together nicely should i worry and change it or do you think it will be alrite?
    also the make is SRC

Re: crack in gearbox case

Perhaps squeeze a spot of glue in there, or perhaps some epoxy over the side.
    Install a sorbo pad into the mix to help absorb the hard hits.

Thats the cheapest option. It WILL fail eventually.
    Pro-long its life, then replace when necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Clot View Post
      Perhaps squeeze a spot of glue in there, or perhaps some epoxy over the side.
      Install a sorbo pad into the mix to help absorb the hard hits.

Thats the cheapest option. It WILL fail eventually.
      Pro-long its life, then replace when necessary.
      I put super clue on my TM mp5 gearbox as it had a crack but I found out winters were just too much on the crack but its not bad because replacement shells are £10 from hk shops :D.

It wont last that long with a crack. I found with my MP5 is that the front end broke off but it was still working but at a pathetic 205 fps :P .

Comment

Worry....that's my advice...lol.
        Gun tech.

AIRSOFTERS.........Load of Balls.!

http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...r-Offizier-M41

Comment

i have just sourced a new one for 40 pounds from the UK so i might buy late on,what could happen if i just left it until it completely falls apart?

Comment

You may shag more parts than stopping now. Your choice obviously.

Obviously we cant see what you can and it may last if it is only a hair crack, but also it may not.

If it was my gun and I spotted anything like that, I wouldn't want to constantly think about the gun lasting the day or not.

As Clot said, use sorbo to soften the blow. But I would use sorbo to correct aoe in a new gear box casing then you know the next one will be spot on.
            Gun tech.

Comment

this has happened with all my guns with a v2 gearbox part from a dboys m4 i had basicly IT WILL BREAK my tm mp5 broke G&G mp5 also broke as did a G&G m4 basicly your gunna have to get a new shell i wouldnt bother spending 40 on one though im sure you can get a full china gearbox for less than that in the uk made by d boys

Comment

Just about the only way to stop a crack spreading in metal is to drill a small hole right at the end of it. As long as the hole is perfectly circular (and centered on the end of the crack) there is no fracture line to spread along and stops the forces making the crack extend. There are 'boxes now which have what is effectively a hole drilled in all the corners at the front to reduce the tendency to crack.

BUT, it's a V2 box and it won't last forever, drilled or not.
                sigpic

Comment

Radiusing the corners is one of the modifications many people do to their gear boxes anyway as a matter of course.

Q why are you disliking the post. If there is a crack in the gear box casing anyone who takes care or pride in their guns will swap the shell over or buy a decent replacement gear box.

The only people who wouldn't are the ones who would buy a new gear box then advertise this one for sale without mentioning the crack and therefor passing the problem allong.
                  Gun tech.

Comment

It happened today haha, but nothing was damage so looks like i will be getting a new one soon, which ones are the strongest?
                    I have seen a guarder one on zeroone
                    and i only finished re-greasing it the other day just my luck

Comment

How did that not break the tappet plate....

Also get a gearbox shell from HK shops they are only around £10

Comment

i don't no when i saw it i thought the worse but it all looks ok but i got another tappet plate i'm going to throw in anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Caveira View Post
                          BUT, it's a V2 box and it won't last forever, drilled or not.
                          Told you!
                          sigpic

Comment

yeah i no its prob cheap metal anyways

Comment

This boys and girls is why sorbo pads should be in every gun.....

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

XxB4K3RxX Hi I'm James and I'm 22 years young and i love airsofting, skating and surfing, could say i just love being outside. Find out more about XxB4K3RxX
                              Working...
                              X