Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TM SCAR L lockup problems

Hi,

I just received a brand new Tokyo Marui Scar L yesterday and got around to testing it this afternoon. Sadly I'm having issues from the go. If I fire full auto and then switch to semi the gearbox locks up about 50% of the time and I have to switch back to full auto to unlock it. This was happening for about an hour and now it also locks up when firing full auto. The only way I've found to unlock it when this happens is to hold the bolt forward by hand and then fire. When it locks it makes a 'clunking' noise upon pulling the trigger.

I'm using 1200mah NiMH batteries and this happens both when using ammo and when dry firing.

I do not want to open anything up as this is a brand new gun and will send it back unmolested to the retailer if this is a fault.

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: TM SCAR L lockup problems

Flat battery?

Comment

Nope, both were fully charged.

Comment

Sounds like classic V2 lock up, caused often by low battery power.

These batteries new too?

Comment

I just also got round to testing my Tm Scar this afternoon had the same problem but switched to a fully charged battery and all was great.
          I'm A Cotton-Headed Ninnymuggins.

Comment

The batteries have only been charged and used a handful of times. But I understand what you're saying as that was my initial thought, that the batteries were running out of charge. Even if the recoil system requires more power, surely this wouldn't be happening with a fully charged battery. I'll try it out with a lipo tomorrow to see if that gives better results. If not, I'll contact the retailer. Thanks for the input Jag.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxyGrandpa View Post
              Hi,

I just received a brand new Tokyo Marui Scar L yesterday and got around to testing it this afternoon. Sadly I'm having issues from the go. If I fire full auto and then switch to semi the gearbox locks up about 50% of the time and I have to switch back to full auto to unlock it. This was happening for about an hour and now it also locks up when firing full auto. The only way I've found to unlock it when this happens is to hold the bolt forward by hand and then fire. When it locks it makes a 'clunking' noise upon pulling the trigger.

I'm using 1200mah NiMH batteries and this happens both when using ammo and when dry firing.

I do not want to open anything up as this is a brand new gun and will send it back unmolested to the retailer if this is a fault.

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.
              It's the battery 100% , on 'a an other' forum that has threads running about TM EBBs there's been lots of discussion about lock up and the final answer was universally change to lipo (and deans of coarse !) in the beginning I had it happening all the time with my socom , changed to lipo and it never happened again (had the gun 2 years come jan) . I run a 7.4v 2200 in my Scar L all I needed to do was trim a small piece of plastic back in the battery well and it fitted fine .
              From deepest darkest pagan Wales ! The steel wolves !

Comment

Originally posted by druid799 View Post
                It's the battery 100% , on 'a an other' forum that has threads running about TM EBBs there's been lots of discussion about lock up and the final answer was universally change to lipo (and deans of coarse !) in the beginning I had it happening all the time with my socom , changed to lipo and it never happened again (had the gun 2 years come jan) . I run a 7.4v 2200 in my Scar L all I needed to do was trim a small piece of plastic back in the battery well and it fitted fine .
                Thanks for the info. I'll be trying with a brand new 1600mah NiCD and a 7.4v lipo tomorrow. Hopefully that will see an end to the problems. I'll post my results tomorrow.

Comment

let us know how it goes but its always battery... Switch to lipo, nimh is simply unreliable in 2/3a cell form, its too easy to fry the cells with modern auto chargers.

Comment

Hi - I Have the SCAR L and have noticed the same issue occasionally for some reason when I use VATECH Nimh batteries even when fully charged - Dont have a problem with my other brand batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by newbz1 View Post
                      Hi - I Have the SCAR L and have noticed the same issue occasionally for some reason when I use VATECH Nimh batteries even when fully charged - Dont have a problem with my other brand batteries.
                      I tried several different brands of standard Batt's (think it had to be around 5 diffrent ones) but it locked up on all , was only the swap to lipo solved it for me . Was told its the current delivery thats the problem , deans and lipo's only way to go .
                      From deepest darkest pagan Wales ! The steel wolves !

Comment

This is not the kinda I thread I needed to appear when I have just bought one of these!! Oh well was going to run it on lipo anyway
                        B&T MP5SD5

Comment

Just an update. Using a brand new NiCD battery and lipo did indeed solve the problem. Thanks for all the input guys.

Comment

Standard mini battery packs just dont fall into the same class as normal NIMH. Its a different cell type and what ie found is they do not like being fast charged. Not at all.

If you have any nimh batterys that are 1100 - 1600 mah in size you should be slow charging these over night. Its to do withthe amount of cell charge and there balance over all the cells. cycling an nimh pack is problematic at best becuase you cant cycle each cell individually. Its just too easy to start buggering up the internal resistance on these cells.

honestly the best way to charge these is to never cycle charge them, and always slow charge them at 0.1amp over 13 hours. If your in a hurry and you have a completely drained pack try 0.1 amp for 200mah then 0.9 or 1.0amp for the rest. This is using something like an imax which is quickly becoming the airsofters favorite. If not check your charger to see what its doing on the side of it. Once its finished slow charging .. do it again. and again untill your sure its done. This gets around the imaxs / inteligent chargers peek detect. Imagine it like 8 small pots of water, and all the pots not getting filled evenly. Once one pot is full the peek detect turns the charger off, this doesnt mean all pots are full. This is why lipo as a technology is much more advanced and actually can take much more abuse from the user dispite its reputation, espcially interms of overcharging. Keep going with the slow charging untill all pots are full. If it takes more charge the charge has to be going somewhere, and the peek detect will always stop it before a cell gets to high, its to do with the cells taking on a slower charge you can actually recover dead nimh packs, using this slow charge recovery.

Its safer than cycle charging since nimh doesnt have the usual memory issues of nicad, and better than risking droping the voltage of a cell below 1v when discharging and rechaging since you cant garrenty all cells are at 1v, ie if you have one cell in a pack significantly lower than the rest thats the cell which will die / burst and why some users manage to pop a cell on a nimh pack.

Remember the faster you charge your nimh battery the faster you kill its internal resistance. Once its too high you have a pack with high voltage but no ability to distribute it quickly. Hence lipo having higher discharge rates.

If you like fast charging small batterys but dont want to slow charge you nimh packs.. there a reason everyones moving to lipo.. even those will have there limits though.. always check the sides of your battery packs or boxes or websites of manufatures for exact cell max charge rates.

hopefully i explained it well enough

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

FoxyGrandpa Find out more about FoxyGrandpa
                            Working...
                            X