MOSFET in a L85?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOSFET in a L85?

Im looking into getting one of these to protect my AEG abit more, after looking into it i've decided i'd quite like one, i've seen one called SW-AB-LONG

it has the following features:
    1. Full active braking that is gentle enough not to harm the motor but still stops the motor very quickly.
    2. Fully assembled, production tested, and serial numbered.
    3. Built in 20 amp automatically resetting thermal fuse.
    4. All wires supplied and attached to the PC board.
    5. Built in heatsink.
    6. The MOSFETs are fully protected against voltage spikes from the motor.
    7. It is almost impossible to cross conduct the MOSFETs.
    8. Fully protected against static discharge.
    9. Advanced break timing circuit.
    10. The circuit draws no current when not triggered.
    11. The trigger circuit needs considerable current to turn on preventing false firing from condensation, grease, etc.
    12. Uses surface mount parts to minimize size.
    13. Very tolerant of bad wiring, bad layout, noise, etc.
    14. Failure of the active breaking MOSFET can't turn the gun uncontrollably on.
    15. New low heating trip circuit prevents damage under very long term short circuit conditions.

Im just windering the following:
    1. Will it fit into a STAR L85, because it says it comes off of the fire switch, and if some people don't know, the L85 uses a micro switch, similar to the M249 (without the bar on it)
    2. Is it worth having?
    3. Pros and cons to having one installed?
    4. Easy enough to install?
    5. Does it make it semi auto only or can i still have my beloved full auto?

Many thanks
    Originally posted by bravotwozero
    Half of the people on zeroin are ex-sas, or currently serving in the regiment, so you shouldn't have a problem getting some hard information.

Re: MOSFET in a L85?

1&4# Yes, it will work with any AEG, you simply connect the 20AWG yellow and red wires to the switch, where ever is, the extreme fire is one of the more simplified FETs out there.

2&3#
    Pros
    Yes definitely, the FET will remove almost all of the current from the mechanical switch, reducing resistance caused by wear (arcing and pitting between the mechanical contacts) With such high current draw setups its ore of a necessity. The AB (active braking) will prevent the motor from over spinning, so if you have really high cycle rates, you won't end up with 2 shots on semi or 1 and a half cycles (leaving the spring half compressed)

Cons
    The fuse may be the limiter, 20A is too low IMO for the kind of setup you had posted in the other topic, 20A in the said setup will almost certainly be exceeded. The fuse can be over ridden or swapped out for a higher rating, the FETs aren't near their limit so don't worry there, if you need to know how to fit another fuse in there let me know.

5# The AB long is basically a protected version of the standard AB model, it doesn't offer any other features, fire modes will remain the same, the "Computer", "Panther", "Jaguar", "Cheetah" and upcoming "Lion" are for the other firing modes.
    dsgdreamteam

Comment

Re: MOSFET in a L85?

sniperjesus you are both true and wise, thank you for all your help to get me sorted, truely appericate it mate!

so you'd recommend the one i have stated?
      Originally posted by bravotwozero
      Half of the people on zeroin are ex-sas, or currently serving in the regiment, so you shouldn't have a problem getting some hard information.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Garf3r the pen is mighter than the sword... but a bullet silences the writer Find out more about Garf3r
      Working...
      X