high speed piston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• high speed piston

having always used plastic pistons i have noticed alot of people using full metal racks now in there high speed guns and i just wanted some thoughts on weather that was a good idea or not as i am considering it.... currently use shs 7 metal teeth pistons. by high speed i dont mean anything silly like 40+rps im talking 30ish.
    i am talking in a properly shimmed and aoe'd gearbox ofcourse.

Re: high speed piston

SHS full metal 14 tooth rack , they are the best possible pistons for high speed IMO.
    EDIT but a SHS 7 tooth piston will be fine around 30 RPS.I ran a jg piston for 5000 rounds on a 36 RPS gun.

Comment

yeh thats what i mean for longevity metal rack has to be the way to go dont it? no good having to get a new piston every 5000 rounds?

Comment

Originally posted by tsv2tuff View Post
        yeh thats what i mean for longevity metal rack has to be the way to go dont it? no good having to get a new piston every 5000 rounds?
        Whats why I use a full metal rack in all of my guns (Except guns with TM gears in them).

Comment

Originally posted by SAS Scott View Post
          SHS full metal 14 tooth rack , they are the best possible pistons for high speed IMO.
          EDIT but a SHS 7 tooth piston will be fine around 30 RPS.I ran a jg piston for 5000 rounds on a 36 RPS gun.
          Disagree with the SHS 14 tooth piston being the best for high speed. It's a very good piston but I think that their 15 tooth piston is better for really high speed stuff and the rack is better supported.

Comment

I personally prefer 7 metal teeth to full rack due to less mass, but my higher speed guns I only run around 320FPS which is plenty for CQB which is where I use them. Less mass means its easier for the motor to pull back and less stress in the gearbox.
            With AOE correction you should get optimal engagement so you don't need the rear metal teeth, however like anything airsoft YMMV. I've had stock JG pistons last thousands of rounds with no signs of wear, and others trash themselves nearly instantly in some guns.

At the end of the day, I'd rather loose the piston than the gearset so plastic is better for me.

What have you found the wear to be like in the 7-teeth in your setup? Surely that will tell you if you need to switch to full rack or not because of the amount of wear/failures you are receiving.

Comment

metal on metel never ends well. but it all depends upon your ££, if your willing to dish-out the money when the piston strips and then possibly jams the gears as well, go for it. if not a plain plastic TM piston teeth will slowly shave down until there are no teeth left, at which point you just open and clean the mec-box, if u want middle just get one with 1-3 metal teeth that release, short-stroking and stacking the piston head will also make piston teeth last longer.

Comment

All this talk of metal teeth pistons stripping and destroying gears.

Can anyone provide an example with evidence, where a correctly set up mechbox failed do a metal tooth piston stripping?

I've never seen it.
                Buy my stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by happyal View Post
                  Disagree with the SHS 14 tooth piston being the best for high speed. It's a very good piston but I think that their 15 tooth piston is better for really high speed stuff and the rack is better supported.
                  Are you on about the one with the holes in it or without?

Comment

Originally posted by Phatvortex View Post
                    All this talk of metal teeth pistons stripping and destroying gears.

Can anyone provide an example with evidence, where a correctly set up mechbox failed do a metal tooth piston stripping?

I've never seen it.
                    I have only been using full metal pistons for 2 years and I have never had a set break my gears. I have never has the piston strip but I have had many gearboxes lock up and fail with no damage to the gears.

Comment

Originally posted by SAS Scott View Post
                      Are you on about the one with the holes in it or without?
                      14 tooth has holes in it, 15 tooth piston doesn't.

Nothing wrong with the 14 tooth piston, I do use it and it's a very good piston. It's just for really high rof I think that the rack on the 15 tooth piston is better supported.

Comment

Originally posted by happyal View Post
                        14 tooth has holes in it, 15 tooth piston doesn't.

Nothing wrong with the 14 tooth piston, I do use it and it's a very good piston. It's just for really high rof I think that the rack on the 15 tooth piston is better supported.
                        Yeah I do agree its better supported , the main reason I prefer the 14 tooth is because its easier to do AOE with.

Comment

Its all much of a muchness. I dont think it really maters they all do the sme thing, whats important is consitency of the parts for comptibility and reliability and shs seems to have it all down to a tee.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

tsv2tuff Find out more about tsv2tuff
                          Working...
                          X