Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaky pistol mags.. can they be fixed / avoided

Hello,

I LOVE using my KJW P226 when I'm out skirmishing, however I find that the biggest problem that I come across when using gas powered pistols is the mags going out on you.

My friends also have leaky mags and it is so rare now that we get to use the pistols properly. Is there any advice you can give, or a resource you could point us towards, to get the mags fixed and what we should be doing to take care of the mags and stop them from leaking?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Leaky pistol mags.. can they be fixed / avoided

Always keep your mags half filled with some form of gas that isn't propane. This is because most airsoft gasses have silicone oil in to keep the seals lubricated, which is the main reason why mags leak. Use propane in your pistol if you want but make sure to lubricate the seals with silicone oil when filling, and store green gas etc in them when in storage.

If your mags are still leaking, try putting some silicone oil on the valve where you're leaking from, if they're that bad then taking the seals out and soaking them in silicone oil over night should do it, again, if that does work then you may need some new seals.

Just remember, keep them gassed!

Also, check your mags are fully tightened, my old 1911 mags needed tightening as they were a tad loose causing some leaking.
    IF YOU HAVE ANY L7A2 GPMG PARTS FOR SALE PLEASE MESSAGE ME

Comment

Any leaking mag can be fixed, unless there has been some form of physical damage done to it. Leaking base seals can be replaced. Fill valves can be replaced, or the o-rings replaced etc etc etc.

Look after them to begin with though and you won't have to keep fixing them.
      sigpic

Comment

Replacement seals kits are available for these mags, which should solve the problem, and as suggested keep them gassed, and use maintenance gas on a regular basis

Comment

replacement seal kits are a waste of money if its the bottom of the mag thats leaking:

Gas your mag.

Fill tub with water, place mag in tub.

Identify where gas is escaping.

Go out and buy some silicone sealant.

Strip your gun, put silicone sealant around the seal, reassemble!
          Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

Where is it leaking from?

If its the base plate, take it off. Take the O ring off the base of the mag, put a lighter to where the o ring should be. Put the o ring back on. Pile on silicon spray, and put the mag back together. Worked for all my mags.
            Recoils: TM MK18 / TM Recce / TM G36K / TM AK102
            Rifles: G&P LMT MRP
            Shotguns: TM M870 / TM M3 / G&P Sheriff 870 / Madbul AGX Tan
            Pistols: TM; Sig P226, Hi Capa Extreme x2, 1911 MEU / KWA; USP.45, M226, Glock 26, USP-c x2 / KJW 1911

Comment

Think ill have a go at fixing mine!

Comment

My method to fixing leaky magazines (when leaking from the bottom):

- Disassemble mag
                - Remove O ring from base
                - Wrap a layer of PTFE tape around where the O-ring usually sits
                - Smother O ring with silicone grease
                - Put O ring back in position
                - Apply another coat of PTFE tape
                - Apply PTFE tape to any undone threads as a preventative measure (usually around the fill valve thread and assembly screw threads)
                - Reassemble mag
                - Put a small amount of gas in

At this point, leave the mag a few days and apply some pressure to the valve at the back of the mag. If the gas is present, then it should be fairly solid. If it's leaky still, you'll be able to press it in pretty easily.

Either way, prevention is better than cure. Also I periodically spray the valve externals / rubber thingy at the top (technical term) and base valve with this stuff as a preventative measure. Also, as already mentioned by others, remember to leave some non-propane gas in your mags when storing them

Note these methods have worked for me flawlessly, but your results (and everyone elses) may vary

Comment

Thanks for all the really helpful responses! The mags were really getting me down but I will try out what I can with the silicone spray etc. I didn't know you had to keep gas inside.. I always emptied them before I put them away.. everytime lol. Oh well now we know! Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by prometheus View Post
                    I didn't know you had to keep gas inside.. I always emptied them before I put them away.. everytime lol. Oh well now we know! Thanks again
                    In the words of the Mythbusters: "There's your problem!".

I've seen/stopped a couple of people doing that recently. It seems few people tell new GBB owners that kind of stuff.

Once you get them fixed, leaving them with gas in will keep them tight for longer.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

prometheus Casual airsofter Find out more about prometheus
                    Working...
                    X