1911 mainspring housing removal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 mainspring housing removal?

Hi guys, just received my guarder steel 1911 mainspring housing that i want to fit to my army kimber warrior.

My kimber already has a mainspring housing and i was wondering how do i go about removing it correctly and potentially putting the new spring housing in.

Cheers
    "Matey" - The most over used word on any airsoft forum....

When you say mainspring, do you mean the recoil spring that sits in the rod under the barrel?

Comment

Re: 1911 mainspring housing removal?

hammer spring, sorry i was using real steel terms i think

Comment

It requires striping most of the lower frame apart. Have a look on YouTube for LaZouche Custom Workshop, he has some very good videos on stripping the 1911 follow them and you will be fine.

Comment

What? No it doesn't!

Have a look at the pistol. At the rear, bottom of the grip, you'll see a pin. Knock this out gently with a thick pin and hammer, and the hammer spring housing will fall out from the back.

Take this part, and look on the side. A small gold pin is there. Get a screwdriver, and push it into the housing through the top to take the pressure off the pin, and push the gold pin out from the inside. Be careful when releasing so as not to get a plunger to the face.

The spring will plop out. Simply reverse the process to put it back in.

You'll probably find a thin piece of metal with 3 prongs also comes out. This is the trickiest part, and the simplest way to install it, is to get the hammer in the upright position, lift the beaver tail or grip safety up as far as you can.

Halfway down the grip is a thin groove. Place the lip of the sear (opposite side from the prongs) into this groove, and lay the piece of metal down there. Keep it in that position whilst you put the housing back in, this will pin it in position!

Comment

cheers guys very helpful comments, got it fitted in now, cheers again

Comment

Originally posted by Boo-Sabum Ben View Post
              What? No it doesn't!
              Ahh yes you are right Ben, havn't had mine apart for a while, I thought it was secured at the top of the housing as well.

Comment

I find taping the grip safety down keeps the sears in place. Otherwise they can be a pain to get back in.
                https://www.youtube.com/user/AirsoftbyOliver - My Youtube channel.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Athlon easy going airsofter Find out more about Athlon
                Working...
                X