Which gas to reduce fps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which gas to reduce fps?

OK, my new GHK AKS-74U GBBR arrived yesterday :D:D:D:D and I got round to chronoing it today.

With a warm mag (filled indoors and left about 20 minutes before firing), it was varying between 370 and 380fps. In the long run, I'll be getting a machined bolt and NPAS, but I'd like to be able to skirmish it in a couple of weeks and (while the cold may well drop the power to safe/useless levels) I want to be able to start the game knowing I'm OK if asked to chrono it.

That was using Abbey Ultra, so what gas could I use to drop the power by 30-40fps?
    sigpic

Re: Which gas to reduce fps?

safe bet would be 134A, but you may not have the oomph to cycle it fully after the first few rounds.

Comment

Indeed, it's the same problem most U.S marked-aimed GBB rifles suffer. They're designed to be used with green and ultra but run at UK-hot fps'. With 134a you'll get the fps drop you're looking for, but I'd be skeptical as to the gas' ability to blow the bolt back.

Comment

Am I right that from low to high power, they would be rated 134a, green and then ultra?

If so, as I'm only trying to lose less than 10%, would green do the trick?
        sigpic

Comment

no green is more powerful typically than ultra, as Green is simply propane with added lube apparantly.

Comment

As above:

134a, Ultra, Green (Propane with silicon added), Red.

Red will kill things.

Comment

I suggest ultra may be able to reduce the FPS but it may not bring the bolt back,I tried 134a on my M4,it sounds very weak but I do get 340FPS: )
              I will shoot you all.

Comment

my mate used to put green gas in for a while then top it up with 134a, not sure if its safe though..
                Chandler

TM 226r, SYSTEMA PTW, Custom built m4, DE shotty, what else would a man need ?

Comment

what is red gas?
                  Gear and accessors for sale! http://zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=122550

sigpic
                  flame + hairspray = fun

Comment

Originally posted by tom the bom View Post
                    what is red gas?
                    A very powerful gas. I don't know what its chemical forumla is but it'll blow up most gas pistols.

Comment

Red gas is known as freon22 its found in US made air conditioners

and its freaking lethal.

Robin for the moment its probably best to stick to abby ultra until the NPAS kit comes, like you said when your outside you should see a fps drop and then by the summer you can run perfectly with your npas

Comment

In my linited understanding 134a is one of the weaker gasses. From what I've read most guns are made to run on it, but some stronger built ones can handle alternatives.
                        CRY HAVOC AND LET SLIP
                        THE DOGS OF WAR!

Comment

cybergun , 134a , abby red gas , abby ultra , green gas , propane

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Caveira Find out more about Caveira
                          Working...
                          X