Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Lube is the right lube :p

Hi Folks,

I had a TM1911 MEU to which I have added some upgrade parts and a Nova metal kit. I have been doing some of the work myself and fully realise that the moving parts will require adequate lubrication.

From what I can tell with most airsoft kit the lubrication falls broadly into two types either Silicon grease or lithium grease, and I was wondering which would be best to use on the metal parts such as the slide rails and which would be best to use to lubricate the blowback unit as I know some substances can perish the rubber O rings.

Many Thanks
    Sarge: We're not retreating! We're advancing toward future victory!

Silicone oil for pistols. Grease is too thick

Comment

Re: Which Lube is the right lube :p

Excellent, cheers for that!
      Sarge: We're not retreating! We're advancing toward future victory!

Comment

I wouldnt use silicone for metal on metal - i used to and the result was horrendous wear on my pistols slide rails and thick black muck coming off everywhere. I used very sparse amounts of machine oil on the guides, hammer, spring//guide rod and sears and friction dropped away, increasing gas efficiency. You need to keep it away from the hop unit/mag router as it will eat those bits of rubber...
        Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

I have heard good things about Frog Lube. I bought some and used it on my hicapa and it worked amazing afterwards.

Comment

I'm currently trialling it in my GBBR at the moment. Can't quite decide about it, there's an extremely fine line between two little and two much, although it may be because I'm using the paste

Comment

Now I've watched a promo video for froglube specifically the paste, and what I came away with from watching it was that it only works to its full potential in the firearm when said firearm gets warm/hot enough to remelt the paste, because after the initial heating up and applying stage it turns back into a paste.

One thing GBBs never do is get hot, so how is it ever going to work to its full extent?

Comment

Blow back unit - I use silicone spray (be careful what spray you use) - pull back your load nozzle and spray a little and I mean a little onto the piston.

Slide - I use airsoft gear box grease but other greases will work to, silicone grease can be used for plastic on plastic (silicone grease for metal on metal is a no no)

For the outside of the gun ie metal slide get a silicone cloth and silicone oil and apply some to the outside of your metal parts this can help keep your slide etc protected from the weather, make sure all moisture and dirt is remove before applying the silicone oil.

Just remember with lubin your gbb pistol that less is more and these guns require maintenance every few thousand rounds or everytime they've been in the field.
                KJW KP-08 - g&g scar l - we g23 - kwa vector - g&g tr4 cqb-s

VOA is a combat multiplier. When engaging an opponent, or engaged by an opponent, the immediate application of extreme violence lends a ferocious momentum forward that is irresistible.

Comment

Lithium is best to use when metal on metal rubbing is occuring. So a THIN layer applied by finger to the slide rails will work wonders. Silicone Oil for blowback unit.
                  King Arms "King of Arms Builders 2013" Winner
                  https://www.youtube.com/user/crasstoe
                  www.flickr.com/crasstoe

Comment

Originally posted by tisane View Post
                    Now I've watched a promo video for froglube specifically the paste, and what I came away with from watching it was that it only works to its full potential in the firearm when said firearm gets warm/hot enough to remelt the paste, because after the initial heating up and applying stage it turns back into a paste.

One thing GBBs never do is get hot, so how is it ever going to work to its full extent?
                    Thats true. I didnt know that, and it explains why it turns into the slipperiest stuff when I heated it up and applied it before. It seems to run my rifle quite nicely, the rifle itself is still wearing in so Im not 100% sure on its performance yet. But so far so good.

Comment

I've got a bottle of the runny frog-lube, and I was... liberal with it in my AEG gearbox. I couldn't be bothered to clean of the silicone grease I have on the gears, however that is coming, as I intend to switch to lithium grease on gears as it is better.

The froglube definitely appears to have helped with tappet plate friction though. And I'll definitely be trialling it in my glock soon

Comment

Tears make the best lube XD

Comment

Maplin, get yourself some silicone oil with PTFE and Teflon Particles.

The stuff is amazing and about £7 a tube (its in like a tip-ex pen style aplicator tube) and you need a TINY amount on the rails as it gets everywhere and i tell you, it made my Vector go up 2-3 rounds a second and my MP7 the same from the fact is was so smooth.

(a certain Mr Cripps uses the exact lube on all his custom builds, just made by "Superlube" so need i say more?)

I put this stuff on ALL my gas guns rails/bolts and then the normal silicone spray around the piston

WARNING. Post may contain traces of sarcasm. If you do not understand this, I pity your existence.

Comment

I've used frog lube on my KWA HK45 and KSC MP7 ,the paste and runny version. The paste isn't very good on GBB it thickens back up very quickly and slows you GBB down. the runny frog lube is much better it stay's runny even after 5 mag put straight through my pistol in -2 Temps over the winter at my local site .I've also used it on my KSC MP7 lubed the inside, bolt and recoil spring with it ,I use propane on the pair of my GBB so I mix silicone with the propane so the silicone will mix with the frog lube when the bolt cycles but I've never had a issue with them mixing and slowing the bolt down all in all I've had good results from the fro lube the runny version gave a very crisp response and it cycled much quicker and the kick seemed harder, the paste I'll use on my aeg when I service it and see how it performs.

Comment

I wonder whether the paste will work on gears where load transfer will cause them to heat up? Obviously not as much as in a firearm but they do warm up.

You can mix the paste and the liquid to produce a goop of the required consistency apparently.

Sent from outer space

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

ColBurton Find out more about ColBurton
                              Working...
                              X