Pistol upgrading.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pistol upgrading.

Iv never upgraded a pistol before and just wondering what the usual stuff to upgrade is?

I have a KJW P226, it runs great and its been perfect out of the box for a side arm but now I'm using it more and more as a primary I want it to be better and great lol

I would assume the usual hop rubber and TB just like an AEG?
    I'm going to upgrade the piston head to a nice 'upgraded' metal one.

Iv seen people use a '150% recoil spring' is this to make the gun cycle faster?

And what other upgradeds are worth doing and how much affect do they have?

Thanks in advance,
    Callum.
    sigpic

Re: Pistol upgrading.

Not all of these may be available for the KJW P226 (i havent a clue really) but here's a general list of upgrades to consider:

Tightbore - obvious why you'd put it in
    Hop rubber - ditto
    Stiffer Recoil spring/guide rod - increases felt recoil and cyclic rate, reduces gas efficiency
    Stiffer hammer spring - increases FPS and felt recoil, reduces gas efficiency
    High Flow Valves - Increase felt recoil and FPS, reduce gas efficiency
    Upgraded gas routers - Increase felt recoil, increase FPS, increase efficiency
    Upgraded piston head - Increase felt recoil, increase gas efficiency
    CO2 mags - King of low temperatures :P
    Reinforced cylinder/loading nozzle - Reinforced, potential changes to felt recoil and FPS
    Alternative rocket valve/floating valve (different names for same thing) and stiffer accompanying spring - Increased/decreased FPS, increased/decreased felt recoil (narrower valves = higher FPS, little cost to gas efficiency, stiffer springs = higher FPS, both have potential to play with felt recoil.

Short stroking (where one stops the slide moving all the way back) - ridiculously increased gas efficiency and cyclic rate (pushed my G18c to 50rps by short-stroking it once. It didnt feed though ) at the cost of no slide lock back.
    Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

That is extreamly helpful! Thank you very much kind sir.
      sigpic

Comment

stiffer slide spring speeds up the cycle. The only reason to fit a stiffer hammer spring is if the gun is light striking ,it has no effect on fps .

Comment

Hi mate, simple answer is, if its a kjw and has the red nozzle then there's a very high chance it's co2 ready, and best upgrade you could do is get co2 mags.

I would stay away from short stroking ur pistol as this can lead to other problems.

Recoil spring and hammer spring upgrade don't always work, eg takes more power to move the slide, so only really a upgrade to do after power upgrades.

Tight bore barrel, hop rubber upgrade and gas routers seem to be the best to start with.
          KJW KP-08 - g&g scar l - we g23 - kwa vector - g&g tr4 cqb-s

VOA is a combat multiplier. When engaging an opponent, or engaged by an opponent, the immediate application of extreme violence lends a ferocious momentum forward that is irresistible.

Comment

The kjw Sig can fit nine ball gas routers, one of the best upgrades you can do to a pistol by far!

2nd, get yourself a 6.03 tb barrel, it gives more range.

3rd, get a nice piston head in there like a white PDI one

4th, I'd put a 120% recoil spring in to speed up slide movement. Do not fit hammer spring! Stock is fine.

But you also need to ensure the rails are clean and smooth, not crap and gritty. This will help it cycle smooth and above all work like a dream.

Lastly, how does short stroking cause issues!? Every ipsc gun does this. All it does is end the use of the slide lock

WARNING. Post may contain traces of sarcasm. If you do not understand this, I pity your existence.

Comment

Heroshark - more gas gets dumped quicker, surely that results in increased fps? It certainly did when I chrono'd my glock before and after, was about 10 fps.

What problems does short stroking cause?

Sent from outer space

Comment

Thanks for all the replays guys, it has a black loading nozzle not a red one but my site does not allow CO2 pistols anyway.

The things Iv deceded to do straight away is the hop, barrel, piston head and a recoil spring. Then work on it as and when I can afford after that.

Callum.
                sigpic

Comment

no the amount of gas released is determined by the valve, not by the amount of force used to open the valve. as long as the valve is being opened by the hammer it will always release the same amount of gas. I used to think the same till I was corrected ,don't waste your money .

- - - Updated - - -

tbh I'd not bother with the recoil unless the cycle is sluggish ,some mag router shims may help more.

Comment

It's also determined by the hammer - too light a hammer spring means valve not fully depressed, therefore less gas released therefore weaker recoil and reduced fps. Surely the quicker and more fully open the valve is, the smaller the pressure loss through the valve, resulting in increased fps and recoil. Fitting a high flow valve also reduces pressure loss in much the same way (smaller pressure loss being equated with higher gas flow rate).

When I get home I will replace my hammer sprig with the stock on, chrono my pistol and refit the 150% sprig, and rechrono. Only way to prove it one way or the other.

Sent from outer space

Comment

as far as I'm aware as long as its not light striking and fully opening it will always release the same amount of gas, it always opens the same amount and for the same amount of time. Be intrested in what you find out.

Comment

The floating valve in the nozzle is the thing, you want to get as much gas through that as poss before it shuts and works the blowback. Hence hi flow valves being an increase as the gas comes out at a faster rate. The depress of the valve on the back of a gun will casue a rise in FPS only if the hammer (as stated) is striking light. If it is striking and opening fine, there should in theory be no increase.

BUT

The barrel is where all the power up comes into play, the bb has left the barrel way before the gas has stopped running through it, so the longer the barrel (to a point) the more the bb can accelerate and thus the faster it will leave giving higher fps. hence my race pistol stock is 400 fps and a stock capa with a 6.01 is 315ish.

High power hammers cause unnecessary force to be wasted trying to push it back by the slide, so actually use more gas as the slide takes longer to go back, takes longer to disengage the figing pin and shut the mag valve. So makes the gun less efficient. If your gun fires perfect with the stock hammer spring, LEAVE IT! A harder hammer will only result in poor efficiency.

I could carry on, seeing as i do this as a side line for work, but i wont. Hope this explains a bit

WARNING. Post may contain traces of sarcasm. If you do not understand this, I pity your existence.

Comment

Hi guys! I too am looking to upgrade my TM G18c and am thinking of fitting a high flow valve. My initial problem is that I can't find a model specific valve for my 18c. Some sites seem to say that the Glock range all take the same valve where as other sites say that there is a specific valve for the 18c which I can't seem to find for sale anywhere. Can anyone clear this foggy issue issue?

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Lt3033 Find out more about Lt3033
                          Working...
                          X