Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TM Glock 18C Slide Return Problem With Guarder Frame

Hi all,

I have a TM Glock 18C that I've added a Guarder lower frame to (slide is stock).

The only issue I've got is that the magazine gasket is causing too much friction against the blowback mechanism, not allowing the slide to properly return by about 2mm. I suspect the frame is seating the magazine a fraction too high as it functions fine without the mag in. I then removed the mag gasket and put in a mag and the slide returns fine.

So, I'm thinking of putting in a slightly stronger recoil spring just to overcome the friction of the gasket in the final few mm. Can anyone reccomend a stronger spring than stock but not one that's gonna smash it home and end up breaking the slide?

Thanks,

Paul.

Re: TM Glock 18C Slide Return Problem With Guarder Frame

Paul, are you using the stock slide? If so, a 150% should be fine. However, if you're got an after-market steel or aluminium slide then, like me, you might need to consider a 200% spring.

I'm actually ordering a couple of spares tonight, as the only places that stock 200% springs are a couple of Japanese sites.

Comment

Hi,

Yes, using the stock slide at the moment so it cycles more efficiently without having to upgrade the gas flow.

I procured a Guarder 150% enhanced recoil spring but it was still happening.

Upon even further inspection, I'm thinking it maybe the loading nozzle staying forward and not compressing against the rubber piston head (as if there's some back pressure in the mechanism) when the slide closes. I dismantled the blow back unit (a right sod since it has lugs you have to ease the slide off over).

I stretched the nozzle return spring a bit and lubricated all of the moving parts. The nozzle now shoots back easier as i moticed it was sticking, but it's done the same thing once while firing off a mag. I'm at a bit of a loss at the moment lol.

Paul.

Comment

Yeh, certainly you don't want to go anything higher than a 150% spring or you'll shatter the front-end of the slide.

I, and I don't recommend this, put a tiny bit of paint on a couple of the metal parts to see where friction was being created - turns out the blow-back-housing (i.e. the metal block to the rear of the slide) was catching a lot. A careful bit of filing relieved most of the stress, but there's still a bit of friction there.

I too am at a bit of a loss, but I'm ordering a couple of after-market parts. Apparently, the hammers on some of the older generation G17s used to catch the end of the slide too, and the only real way to permanently fix it was a KM ZeroHammer assembly (about £40 for the set), so yeh. I've also got a Guarder frame, and a Guarder slide, plus a bunch of different internals, so there are a fair number of variables for me.

If you think it might help, then I've got some spare 150% nozzle-springs laying around. I'll post you one if you can cover the P&P - although I suspect this hasn't got much to do with your issue.

I just fear it's the BBU for me, which is going to set me back a fair pile of cash to get replaced with an after-market part

Comment

I think mine maybe suffering from the same problem in that the hammer rotor is catching the slide on the return stroke, with it being fairly high and having sharp edges to it front and back, as when it catches and I push it forward there is an audable "click" from metal to metal catching. Although I have been looking at the KM ZeroHammer rotor where the rear appears to be curved slightly (I'd assume to aid the slide running over it), just wondering if I could do this to mine?

I take it that the hammers are not interchangeable between G17's and G18C's?

Paul.

Comment

Actually, I'm back from work now so have had a proper look.

I noticed when the slide sticks at the end of the return it rides up on the right side of the frame. The "click" I heard when i push the slide home fully is the full auto sear disengaging from the hammer and the hammer coming up into its ready position.

With the slide off and the hammer totally depressed into the assembly like when the slide racks back, trying to push down the full auto sear to disengage it from the hammer is extremely difficult, so it appears the slide just rides up over it and then sticks as it can't push it down out the way.

Don't know what I can do to fix this

Paul.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

PaulBre Find out more about PaulBre
            Working...
            X