X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TM Guarder Desert Eagle failure

Hi - gutted my DE has broken after less than a week and less than 50 shots

20131207_142222.jpg

I'm hoping its not too bad. The end pieces have broken off and it looks like its not a moving part. I was think of JB Welding (strong glue) the piece onto its metal base. It seems to just sit there via the screw anyway. Other than that I'd have to get a new top slide section .... but I'd rather glue.

Any ideas / suggestion would be very welcome.

Thanks, P.
    Last edited by IronMonkeyPimp; 7 December, 2013, 16:27.

Re: TM Guarder Desert Eagle failure

picture doesnt work

WARNING. Post may contain traces of sarcasm. If you do not understand this, I pity your existence.

Comment

cheers should work now

Comment

mmmmm just found this. Looks like the shop that put this together took a shortcut.

DE50_EX1.jpg

Comment

Lol, only TM would come up with a design that uses a screw in a load bearing location like that*. How many airsoft techs use threadlocker really? (I do, but I imagine most won't, the same would apply for players building their own guns as well)

See if you can build up around it using chemical metal without interfering with it's operation - if you can get a bit in the crack and then thicken it up on top you may improve the strength of the part. The beauty of chemical metal is you can always sand away any excess that gets in the way.

After that get yourself a small bottle of Loctite 243, they can be had for about £6, put a dab on the thread and wind it in tight, but not too tight. Should cure up in around 24 hours, and it won't come loose unless you unscrew it

*I've serviced WE, KJW and KSC/KWA Pistols in the past two years. TM guns and their clones seem to be held together using screws, where KSC/KWA guns tend to use far more sensible things like pins and dowels.
          Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

could you not take it back to the retailer ?

Comment

Nah I got it pretty much brand new from a guy on these forums so no warranties. But I was told were it came from and gave them a call. I was kindly told to see if I can get a part number and they would order it for me. Ive put it down to one of those freak accidents - no-ones fault - except maybe the tech that put it together.

The gun actually works OK just that part of the slide jutts out. My plan is to use JB Weld - which is a liquid metal type glue. all around that piece front and back. Then maybe drill a very small hole in the thicker part of the metal and tap a thread into and put in a grub screw. Loctite it down then let that baby cure for while. I think performance wise it should be OK, at first i was worried that it might be because i was using propane - but that pic i posted is exactly what happens because there was no loctite. Tricky part is taking the slide apart.

This is my first TM gun, Ive got WE's KWA KWC KJW and GHK - not had anything like this happen to any of them. Not to sure about the highly touted robustness of TM. My KWC desert eagle is still going strong after years of abuse :-)

Any TM owners with Guarder kits might want to check their screw.

Comment

I'll remember it when I buy one, it's only a matter of time :D

Comment

They are pretty awesome guns - as soon as I got mine - I was look whoo hooo !! I ordered at some expense a double shoulder holsters and 2 hogue grips from the states and the gun breaks before the've even arrived.

Comment

You should easily be able to sort that, what id do, is get some small 2mm steel countersunk screws, drill 2 new tiny holes either side of the broken point and then tap a thread and locktite them in. Done.

After seeing a metal kitted DEagle, done by a certain shop, id never send anything there. I had to do SO much work on it to make it cycle properly.

Theres nothing wrong with screws if they are correctly sorted. Pins are a mare and look messy when knocked out, also they bend, become tatty, become loose in certain areas so cause rocking of parts.... I hate pins! I think its a cheapo option.

WARNING. Post may contain traces of sarcasm. If you do not understand this, I pity your existence.

Comment

Pins are a cheapo option? Why are real guns assembled using them then?

Pins can take many loads that threads really shouldn't. If you use a good punch you don't mar pins when they are removed either. Good quality pins don't bend either! Pins just demand a much higher quality of manufacturing from everything else. If your limits and fits are out pins are a poor idea, if your limits and fits are good then go with pins every time.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Comment

2013-12-10 23.39.36.jpg

That's a really bad picture !
                        I've taken the top slide apart - bit of a nightmare. But it separates into 2 parts - the heavy interior chunk of metal and the top exterior slide. The join point is actually the little screw - which was a bit suprising. There were loads of good contact point between the two pieces so I dabbed some JB weld in as many spot as I could and left it a few days to cure. In my opinion the 2 pieces are now have a stronger bond than they had with the little screw. It feels pretty tight. Overall I'm not concerned about any possible issues with this fix.

Thanks for you help guys.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

IronMonkeyPimp Find out more about IronMonkeyPimp
                        Working...
                        X