Making ammo windows on gas mags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making ammo windows on gas mags

I was thinking about drilling either several holes or a long strip down the front of my g5 mags so i would be able to see how many rounds i had left, is this a good idea? could this lead to the follower getting stuck or bbs jamming up the mag?

Re: Making ammo windows on gas mags

I dont know what the mag setup internally is, but if you made very small holes i cant see it being that much of an issue as long as its centre of it.

Id like to know the set up internally though before hand as WE M4 style mags dont display from the front anyways even outside of the mag sleeve, its all encased.

WARNING. Post may contain traces of sarcasm. If you do not understand this, I pity your existence.

Comment

Count rounds or shoot till you run out lol. I found after a while I get used to a gun and can tell generally when im about to run low..

Comment

Originally posted by Danny_boy85 View Post
        I dont know what the mag setup internally is, but if you made very small holes i cant see it being that much of an issue as long as its centre of it.

Id like to know the set up internally though before hand as WE M4 style mags dont display from the front anyways even outside of the mag sleeve, its all encased.
        The rounds are stored at the front of theag, similar to the way a pistol mag is set up, so id assume id be able to cut into the front without comprimising the mags gas storage

Comment

A lot of gas mags have slits up the front, pistol mags, mp9 mags. While I haven't used WE m4 gas mags I would think that they would use a similar set up as its simpler to have one block for gas, then another with the bb's in front. Otherwise they would have to make a gas tight block then insert the tube for bb's inside it. The second scenario would be much harder to machine and remain gas tight.

However unless you can find someone with a broken magazine, Or dismantle one of your own, you would have to drill it and see!

I would suggest that the holes you drill are as small as is still functional as a window, as if they are too large the bb's could get snagged or move off centre and screw up the pressure exerted on them by the spring

Comment

URL link removed, against forum rules

I know the original post was asking about g5 but looking at some of the photos,It would seem the bb's are kept separate from the gas. (They have to be otherwise the gas would escape with the bb's!)
            Last edited by Fingers; 22 April, 2014, 22:28. Reason: another retailer

Comment

i have taken the mag appart and the bbs are indeed separate, when you remove the base plate you can see that several mm of polymer separates the bbs from the gas cylinders which re sealed units within the shell

Comment

Apologies for url link, thought I had linked picture direct :/

Comment

i think my only worry after inspecting the mags is getting bbs jammed or the spring catching, holes along the side or the front?

Comment

I personally would go up the side as I think its more useful. But it is personal preference.
                    As far as jamming goes, If the holes are small then I don't think the bb's are a problem, however the follower or spring could pose a problem. Sorry I can't be much help really!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Ben_almighty Find out more about Ben_almighty
                    Working...
                    X