Grip Screw Head Has Broken Off!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grip Screw Head Has Broken Off!!

As is often the case when it comes to any kind of GBB modifications luck has not been on my side

I had just finished fitting a rather nice set of RS Colt Medallion Cocobolo grips to my WA Colt Series 70 and I was tightening the last lower grip screw (I was using WA Hex Head screws) when the head of the screw just broke off!

So now main body of the screw is stuck inside the grip screw brass bushing (I have removed the brass bushing from the frame now) with no way to get it out

So basically how do you remove a grip screw that is stuck inside a grip screw bushing and has no head?

Has this happened to anyone else before and does anyone have any solutions?

Re: Grip Screw Head Has Broken Off!!

Have you got a screw extractor?

If not, they're well worth adding to your kit. You drill a hole in the centre of the screw shank, then use an anti clockwise bit to twist the screw out.

Machine mart have them for a few quid, or you may able to get one off the local market for a bit less.
    sigpic

Comment

I stumbled across these when trying to find a solution to my problem but I don't have one I'm afraid.
      I was thinking though, if I was able to get hold of an electric drill with a small drill bit, then drill a hole into the screw body, put some Loctite into the hole and push a small hex head tool into the hole, wait for it to dry and then try to remove it that way.
      Would that work?

Comment

It may well do, but be careful that you don't drill into the thread at the side of the hole. Also, the loctite may not grip well enough. If you've got some high strength epoxy such as araldite, that should be better.

The extractor works by biting into the remaining metal, rather than gripping the side of the hole, so it's a safer bet.
        sigpic

Comment

Mmm...OK mate.
          Are these extractors available in small sizes? As I'm sure you are aware the grip screw on a 1911 is pretty small.

Comment

Yep, the smallest I've got uses a 2mm drill bit.
            sigpic

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

chris u'5 Find out more about chris u'5
            Working...
            X