This Nuprol gas stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Nuprol gas stuff

Has anyone tried it. I am looking at 3.0 and 2.0.

I am currently using Propane in my GHK AK. I am just wondering how it compares to propane. It would need to be a fair bit better as Nuprol 3.0 is the best part of £20 per can.

Trader feedback http://www.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.p...411#post240411

Re: This Nuprol gas stuff

If you want value for money just stick with Propane. It's not noticeably better

Comment

Try MAPP gas too - works really well and cheap too

Comment

I've used propane, 2.0 and 3.0 in my MP9 and my glock - 2.0 is propane, performs the same as propane etc etc. 3.0 is more expensive than propane, produces the same muzzle velocity and same sort of cooldown characteristics as propane - so I think it's a bit of a waste of time TBH.

A friend tried nuprol 4.0 in his WE AK and it sucked, he couldn't get more than half a mag of shots out of the gun before it emptied the gas reservoir.
        Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

Its and old debate but sad news its crap! I couldnt get more than 2 shots off on 3.0 and same on 4.0 when running a Steel bolt in my WE M4.
          It you want value for money run Propane. propane has a a psi of 160 ans for extreme cold run MAPP Pro which as a PSI of 180

Now well we could figure it out theoretically by looking at the thermodynamic properties and comparing it to our standard - in this case HCF-134a, Propane (C3H8), and CO2.
          Since the propane we buy at the local hardware stores isnt 100% propane, we wont be 100% accurate in our assumptions about the VAPOR PRESSURE of the two gases in comparison.

From the descriptions given in the Home Depot link provided all we know is that this gas is some type of mixture that is predominantly Propylene in solution (C3H6), which is another Hydrocarbon with similar (relatively) properties to Propane. Also known as and commonly referred to as "Propene."

I went ahead and dug this up:
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propane_%2 ... properties

The main properties we're looking at are Vapor Pressure and Boiling point (which are related).
          Volume of the pressure vessel does not matter, as Vapor Pressure is independent of volume.
          So we can compare Duster Gas, Propane (GG), Propylene, and CO2 even though they are all in different containment mediums (CO2 caplet, aerosol can, metallic tanks, etc).
          The LOWER the BOILING POINT, the HIGHER the VAPOR PRESSURE.

BP of HCF134a: ____ –26.3 °C, 247 K, –15 °F <-- Lowest Vapor Pressure
          BP of Propane: _____ -42.1 °C, 231 K, -44 °F <-- Low Vapor Pressure
          BP of Propylene:____ -47.6 °C, 226 K, -54 °F <-- High Vapor Pressure
          BP of CO2: ________ -57.0 °C, 217 K, -70 °F <-- Highest Vapor Pressure (in comparison of the 4 gases observed)

-- Quantified Vapor Pressure values are not given because it is a function of temperature, and isn't given for some of the gases we're comparing.
          -- Also the presence of non-volatile solute (or less volatile solutes rather) in the mixtures will reduce these theoretical values if I were to list any for Propane and Propylene.

So theoretically, the Propene should have higher vapor pressure than Propane and HCF-134a.
          I guess you could think of that "New Gas" as a middle ground between Propane and CO2.
          Now as far as the effects of "cool down" we'll need to look at other thermodynamic properties.
          In particular we'll need to pay attention to the standard enthalpy change of vaporization (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Another factor to consider in answering your question is, "Is the proposed gas toxic to humans?" and "Is it safe to use in close quarters - asphyxiation risk, yadda yadda?"

So in summary of my chemistry and thermodynamic ramblings, I'll conclude that Yes, the Worthington Pro Grade 14.1 MAP/Pro Cylinder will actuate our GBB guns.
          It should have the "power" somewhere between GG/ Propane and CO2.
          Assumption is the mother of F*&% Ups!

Comment

But if you want Power use R404a Gas that has a PSI of 240 above..but they only comw in large containers

Comment

Thanks for the replies chaps. So, stick with propane then. I certainly don't need more power as it still runs to around 400fps without the adjustable nozzle. Cool down on the GHK is somewhat of a revelation, it'll easily empty a mag at full auto, at 4 deg C on propane but as there is no real difference, I'll stuck with stinky propane.

I only wish they'd let us have propane from work as there's no smell to it pre mercaptan injection.

Trader feedback http://www.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.p...411#post240411

Comment

I hear guarder black gas is good ,but I don't know what it's like compared to propane.

Comment

Originally posted by Fitch View Post
                  Try MAPP gas too - works really well and cheap too
                  is it ok to use MAPP

i saw on a site that it said not to use it, i can get it from work you see FOC

Comment

Mapp is stronger but it will in long run wear your seals down, so keep them greased and lubed up..

Comment

I'm loving mapp - no different than stinky Orange tanked propane which I refill my own colemans containers with. I lube the top of the tank opening every now and again with silicon. Runs perfect in all my guns.

After years of experimenting with duff gases - Nuprol being nothing special at all btw, I can conclude propane and mapp are the cheapest and best gases out there. Especially for running in the winter.

just don't use them in shotguns or ABS pistols in the summer :/

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Tack Find out more about Tack
                      Working...
                      X