Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Gas through HPA line?

Bit of an odd question but bear with me:

Does anyone know how green gas would behave through an airline? Let me elaborate:

I have the opportunity to buy a Marushin M1 Garand and having owned one before (and regretably selling it) I know that the gas reservoir was a bit small for the design. So, seeing the success of the Marui M870 with the stock gas reservoirs, I plan to hollow out thr stock of the M1, have a reservoir inserted and a line fed through the grip of the stock (there is plenty of room for a hole to be drilled safely through the pistol grip) and tapped to the existing reservoir.

Is this theoretically sound? I already have a chap that can make steel parts for it so the infamous part 45 isn't a problem.

Thoughts?

Re: Green Gas through HPA line?

Usually I would say that having green gas and macro line wouldn't work, due to the pressure needed to stabilise the line. But if it's that short you may be ok.
    The clown has no penis

Comment

I could always use 1/4 fluid hose instead of the 1/8" air line. I think it would be under 8" long.

Comment

1/8" should be alright.

The main issues are going to be making sure there are no leaks, your reservoir can contain 120psi and somehow regulate the fps. I can't comment to much on that as I'm not sure what system the M1 uses.
        The clown has no penis

Comment

The M1 uses a rather sophisticated (read as ridiculously complicated) system to power the boot and eject the clip after the last round. The gas reservoir is shown below as the section with the four bolt holes at the base:

People have rigged them to HPA in the past with great success however my thoughts were along the lines of hiding the power source in the stock for aesthetic reasons.

Comment

If you are going through all that work switch to either CO2 or HPA. rigging a system to take CO2 bulbs will give you power and consistency in a compact package and will work in all conditions. A little extra work and you could have the bulbs easily changeable via a screw-in plate directly accessible in the butt stock. Green gas will be terrible unless the conditions are favourable.

Comment

Alternatively you could hide a small co2 cylinder in the stock too. Not sure but think the HPA tanks are larger

Comment

Green Gas through an external rig? Nah, it's an old way of doing it, and not a good way to do it. They were crap when I used them on my JAC's, Asahi's and other external-rig guns twenty years ago. Just plumb it for HPA, start with the regulator at 100PSI then up it bit by bit till you're happy with it. To equate to Propane/Green Gas, it should be somewhere around 120PSI.

Comment

I don't know of any CO2 rig which would fit in the stock, at least one which would let you regulate the pressure (CO2 would make the gun explode, even with the steel parts I have managed to source for it). I didn't want it through an external rig because having hoses all over the place, no matter how discreet you try to be is, in my opinion, gash and completely negates the point on having a realistic imitation firearm in the first place. So I was thinking of a way to hide a larger reservoir somewhere in the gun.

Comment

Though having said that, Madbull do a small regulated rig for filling grenades with CO2 which supposedly only an inch in diameter... That might fit in the stock. Problem is shot count before having to open the stock, switch out a bulb, replace buttplate etc. I'd may as well stick with the tank as-is.

Comment

Mancraft.pl manufacture a regulator and 12g CO2 adapter that would fit, but you'll spend an awful lot of time hollowing out the stock to take it. Then you're going to have to find a way of routing the macroline to the internal gas reservoir and you're probably looking at around 50-60 shots per 12g caplet.

Comment

Good find there Heinz. I had another idea that would combine both the Marui M870 tank and CO2- Madbull do a CO2 adapter that allows you to fill gas grenades/pistol mags with regulated CO2 from a 12g cartridge. What if I installed a tank in the stock and then filled it using the Madbull adapter?

Comment

The Marui M870's gas tank can barely take Green Gas without the sides swelling out as it is. CO2? Not a chance in hell - it would go pop in a nasty, and potentially very messy, fashion.

Comment

Do you think you could fit a 90 gram co2 capsule into the stock? They have a threaded tip so you wouldn't need a threaded plug to hold it in like you do with 12 gram cartridges. Think there may even be refillable versions available. Other option is to under mount it in the same way air rifles are set up

Comment

Little chance of that as if I remember correctly they're 1" wide. I wouldn't want to hollow out a wooden stock that much - and it's not like wooden stocks on Airsoft guns are made from high-grade wood anyway, so you'd be severely compromising structural rigidity.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Patrolpointman Find out more about Patrolpointman
                              Working...
                              X