charging system we gbb m4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• charging system we gbb m4

So given that it recharges itself if you go from full auto to semi with the selector lever/knob i'm wondering what is the point of the charging lever on the we m4. Compared to other open bolt guns (mac 11, sten, scorpion, mp40, uzi) in either green gas, co2, or modelgun, I don't see how the charging system has any degree of reality. On semi the system will always recharge itself without racking the handle.on full auto after a mag's worth, switching the selector to semi will reset the trigger mech, thus enabling the charging handle somewhat redundant. I assume this is normal??

Re: charging system we gbb m4

How do you mean it resets the trigger mech? You don't really need to operate the charging handle unless you want to manually pull the bolt back for an initial loading of the gun or to inspect the chamber. You could go a whole day's worth of shooting without really touching it, and you don't need to operate it when switching from semi to full auto and back again.

Also, the WE GBB isn't an actual open bolt gun. They label their newer M4's as "open bolt" because their earlier guns had part of the gas system remain visible in the chamber when the bolt moves back, and their newer "open" bolt guns has this part designed as part of the fake bolt, so the chamber appears clear when the bolt moves back. In function it is a closed bolt gun like the real M4.

Comment

As above. The Charing handle is just for initially setting the hammer. Have you ever seen an M4 being used? It's not bolt action...

Comment

No, but I was comparing it to other cruder designs. It was the 'open bolt' label that had me, when it clearly isn't in function.

Regarding the trigger mech, the selector lever will reset this (ie the hammer) if switched from auto to semi with the hammer in the closed position. That bit really had me confused as an older open bolt enthusiast. It is clearer now, so thanks.

Comment

The selector does not reset the hammer. That is what the bolt does as it comes to the rear.

This thread is very confusing. Have you just completely not understood how the charging handle, hammer and selector work?

Comment

What kind of mad question is this?

Yes an M4 or any other AR15 Pattern rifle requires a charging handle otherwise you would not be able to load the first round, lock the bolt back. The selector has 1 function to SELECT the fire mode you want or safe when loaded. It does nothing else.

Heres a test take the charging handle off your M4 and see how far you get. My guess is you wont fire a shot.

Pictures -

WE Closed Bolt System - i.e it has a brass tube in the bolt

WE Open Bolt System - i.e It has no brass tube - "open bolt"

Sorry for not using the same gun but it clearly shows the point.

Comment

I am not talking real steel. Anyway, on closer inspection it appears I have a fault with my trigger box.

Comment

Regardless of that, on a GBBR where you have to manually load it you need a charging handle. Whats up with the box?

On an AEG its pointless over than on some models to pull the dust cover back for hop adjustment.

Comment

So, rack the handle in full auto and fire a burst (gas, no bb's loaded) and it will fire Ok, but will not reset the trigger mech after the burst. So on the strength of that, I assume the hammer is cocked yet the trigger mech isn't. Switching the selector lever then to semi will result in a graunchy click from the mechanism and the trigger is reset. This separate trigger box tech is new stuff to me, and non of my other open bolt gbb sub machine guns, or Modelguns have done this. Agreed perhaps I am missing something!?!

Comment

There is a reset sear. Does it fire fine in semi?

So fire a burst, fires but when you take your finger of trigger it doesnt fire again until recocked?

Comment

There is a reset sear is there - well I have never owned a gun with that tech before!. Tbh, that is what is confusing me more than anything.

It does fire Ok on semi, but this reset thing is new to me, so please don't jump down my throat. So it is correct to assume, one could fire all day on semi without racking the handle. Put it back in the cupboard for a week or three with the trigger still set, then get it back out and off you go again.
                      Last edited by muzzleflash; 23 April, 2015, 13:52. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by StargateP90 View Post

So fire a burst, fires but when you take your finger of trigger it doesnt fire again until recocked?
                        That would appear to be correct for full-auto function - though if you then switch thru semi and back to auto on the selector the trigger is good to go in both modes.

Comment

Ill find you a gif of how an M4 works. You dont seem to be grasping the very simple system.

(That isnt meant to sound sarcastic btw)

on my phone, my spelling will suck

Comment

Originally posted by StargateP90 View Post
                            Ill find you a gif of how an M4 works. You dont seem to be grasping the very simple system.

(That isnt meant to sound sarcastic btw)

on my phone, my spelling will suck
                            No sarcasm taken. I am primarily a collector of WW2 era and up to around the early 60's. So you will see my familiarity is with cruder designs.

Comment

Try this. The design is rather old and has been in service since around 1962 obviously with tweaks since.

This might help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fsa_C-gSYAQ

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

muzzleflash Find out more about muzzleflash
                              Working...
                              X