Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propane :o

I am soon going to be getting A WE Hicapa 5.1

As it is metal, I have been advised to only use propane/green gas.
    This is going to be my first GBB and I don't want to screw it up too badly.

I have looked into the use of propane, and can not find any drawbacks for it, other than: Ground Zero wont allow it, and I need to get an adaptor, which seems to be out of stock.
    Another thing, which I know little about, is the type of lubricant to use. all i know is 100% silicon. Any opinions? Drop bottle or spray can?

So If anyone has anything to say from past experience with propane, and how to care for a GBB while using propane, then please let it all out

Also, if by any chance someone has an AI propane adaptor knocking about, I will gladly take it off you
    Airsoft. The most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Re: Propane

Assuming you found the UK retailer that stocks the propane adapter, give them a ring and find out when they are getting more in. You never know, they might even have a few kicking around not listed on the website.

You get silicon included with the propane adapter, and if you're lazy with GBB maintenance you can just use that.

I prefer to run propane without lube, to improve consistency (i.e. no silicon oil in the hop), and just care for all my magazines and GBBs individually.

For reference, I've been using propane in my KWA MP7 for about 6-7000 rds, not a drop of lube has been added to the propane since 1-2000rds (the propane lube is what caused problems, leading to having to replace the hop rubber). Still running @ 100%.

That said, WE mags are, on the whole, no where near as good as KSC/KWA mags, but I'd still advise caring for them individually than putting lube in the propane.

Comment

As for maintenance, I have had a look at the "just pistols" guide to maintaining GBB's and it just says to every few months, Oil the working parts, and the gas release valve.
      I just wondered how not having any lube in the gas changes the use/maintenance habits of a GBB?

Comment

If you care about your pistol you should clean it and regrease it after every game, few months is really stretching it.

Comment

I'm also thinking about the propane route, what parts will need maintaining ideally?

Comment

i strip and clean my gbb after every game, and give it a check before as well, never missed a beat - i love my lil glock 26c
            back in the game after 12 months away!

Comment

Depends how often you use your pistol. For me, maintenance after every shooting session, even if its just a wipe down. If you take it to a skirmish and never use it, no real need.

A lot of emphasis is often put on oiling your GBB. You should use very little oil, the maintenance should mainly consist of cleaning your GBB. Remember that oil attracts dirt, and dirt is bad. Generally, you shouldn't put lube in your slide rails.

If you're using dry propane, this is my method (try and do it outside, most propane stinks and the smell can hang around for a while):
              In this order

A
              *Every month or so
              Empty the magazine of gas, by dry firing or pressing the release valve (you should always leave a little gas in the magazine between games).
              Hold down the release valve with something, and spray (or drop) a little silicon oil (a few drops) into the valve, leaving it depressed for a few seconds, letting the oil into the magazine.
              Put some gas in the magazine (1-2s fill), wipe off excess lube.
              Do this to all your mags, then put them aside*

I tend to skip step A in most of my GBBs, unless I am having problems with the magazines (light striking, sticky valves, leaking etc.) or I know if I don't follow this step the mags will start leaking (f*ck you, WE mags!)

B
              Take your GBB apart as far as you are willing. Usually slide + inner barrel + outer barrel + frame + recoil spring is sufficient, if you want a good deep clean take apart the blowback mech in the slide, the frame doesn't really need any maintenance (in fact avoid getting lube in the hammer mechanism).

C
              Take your chosen cloth, I favour the microfibre cloths as they pick up grease and oil very well and cost £1 from most supermarkets for a pack of 3-5, and wipe everything clean and dry, don't apply any extraneous oil at this point. Pay special attention to the slide rails, use something pointy under the cloth to clean them.

D (if step A performed)
              Reassemble, insert all your mags one at a time and dry fire until out of gas, clean off oil from the top of the magazine, disassemble the GBB and repeat steps B and C

E (if step A not performed, you don't need to do step A too often unless your magazines enjoy leaking)
              Pull the loading nozzle forward, drop a little lube into the back, and flick it back and forth a few times, if you pull it forward and let it go, it should snap back smoothly. Then reassemble and dry fire a few magazines.

F
              Take out the inner barrel, and give it a good clean. There will be a little silicon oil in it and on the hop rubber. This need to go, so cut a small chunk off your cloth and attach it to your cleaning rod, run it through until you are satisfied that there is no excess oil. Run another magazine through it dry firing it, check the barrel again and make sure no oil is present, repeat as necessary.

Comment

I just read the Just pistols article.
                In my opinion you should avoid this "brute force" approach to maintaining GBBs, spraying oil indiscriminately into your GBB is a recipe for failure. Maybe if you have a million guns it may be quicker, but it's not worth it. Six out of my armoury of seven weapons are gas, the only one I feel you should "brute force" is my Marushin M500 shotgun, which isn't a GBB and performs (oddly) better with loads of silicon in it, because there is no hop up.

Comment

well you seem to be a man in the know then. ill take your advice.

Only think i am confused about if the mag maintenance steps...
                  I was told to not dry-fire, as it is bad for the system. and to not press the release valve, as it could be bad...

Comment

Also, as the WE and TM mags are interchangeable on a 5.1, I wondered which of the two are better (the TM ones are usually £5 more)

Comment

If the magazine is full, don't press the release valve as your finger will freeze (I always forget this ) as all the gas escapes, it requires energy (in the form of heat) to expand from its compressed state in the magazine, so it "sucks" all the heat from the surroundings. For small amounts of gas, its fine. If it's full of gas, that's just a good excuse to go and plink at something...

For GBBs, dry firing shouldn't cause any excess wear to the internals. If you're concerned about it, stick some BBs in it and have a quick plink, as long as you do it in a safe direction shouldn't make any difference.

Comment

Depends if you're willing to spend the extra dough, or willing to suffer mags that will (at some point probably most likely almost definitely) start leaking.

I would probably just buy more, cheaper mags and give them more maintenance, up to you to make the call though.
                        feedback: http://www.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15176

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

The King Speak danish, english, german and spanish. Find out more about The King
                        Working...
                        X