X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TM Glock 17 mag fill valve

Hi all

Bit of help please guys.

Should the fill valve on my mag have a rubber seal on the outside?

When i try to fill my mag gas sprays everywhere!!

Thanks

Re: TM Glock 17 mag fill valve

It certainly helps to have one, as it creates a better seal between the nozzle of the canister and the fill valve (both often metal of some sort). Many of my mags are missing those, you can fill 'em up ok, but there is some loss of gas in the process, not to mention more cooldown (because of the escaping gas).

Get hold of a shit lighter, smash it, and harvest the tiny o-rings.

Comment

Good idea mate!! 😊

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Comment

Terrible idea!

It's not gas escaping from the mag. (Well, maybe a tiny fraction of it is gas) the rest is air that's replaced the gas inside the mag when the valve is opened when firing. The amount of gas you're losing is negligible, and not worth the interference caused by adding an o ring to a valve that wasn't meant to have one in there. It'll cause the full valve to jam open frequently, causing you to lose a lot more gas

Comment

Originally posted by Boo-Sabum Ben View Post
          Terrible idea!

It's not gas escaping from the mag. (Well, maybe a tiny fraction of it is gas) the rest is air that's replaced the gas inside the mag when the valve is opened when firing. The amount of gas you're losing is negligible, and not worth the interference caused by adding an o ring to a valve that wasn't meant to have one in there. It'll cause the full valve to jam open frequently, causing you to lose a lot more gas
          Fair enough Ben.. but I have done this myself with good results.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Comment

I have fitted an o ring as you thought before I read this thread because of that. It works a treat. No escaping " gas " and silent fill. Mike Cripps sells o rings specifically for this purpose.
            Thanks for the Glock, well pleased

Comment

the tm mags specifically don't have these orings for a reason. when filling a mag they vent any liquid greengas that has turned into gas. upshot is you can get a lot more liquid into the mag rather than end up with a pressurized mag part way thru filling which stops any more liquid greengas going in the mag.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by chaz_r33_gtr View Post
                the tm mags specifically don't have these orings for a reason. when filling a mag they vent any liquid greengas that has turned into gas. upshot is you can get a lot more liquid into the mag rather than end up with a pressurized mag part way thru filling which stops any more liquid greengas going in the mag.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk
                What you say sort of makes sense, so this would be the same for any gas magazine? I must say I havnt noticed any loss of number of shots since using the o ring, not that I have been seriously keeping check of the number of shots. I am getting a full mag off with plenty left over. I am a simpleton when it comes to gas pressures, boyles law etc so please make allowances, but surely there is one way in for the gas through the inlet valve so how does the GAS inside the mag vent out past the liquid going in?

Comment

Feel like I have caused an argument haha!!!

I have got to grips with this fill valve now and when you think about it, it makes complete sense. I haven't had a problem with it since.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Comment

yeah the principle applies for any gas magazine. AS you fill it, some of the liquid vapourises and starts to create pressure inside the magazine, eventually the gas pressure in the magazine stops anymore liquid getting into the mag.

with regards to how does the gas escape, 1) the TM Mag fill valves are not an air tight seal to the gas canister nozzle as there isn't one of the tiny rubber seals you are on about and 2) if you unscrew the fill valve out of the mag you will notice a teeny hole in the side of the fill valve near the top.. this hole lets the gas escape out of the magazine when filling.

So if you install a rubber seal on your TM mag for the outside you can still fill the mag and it will be a 'silent fill' but you wont fill the mag as much as you would without it. Marushin, KWA and TM all seem to have these valves types that vent gas. From my experience only WE mags seem to have an O-ring on the outside,

Comment

Thank you Chaz, what you say does make sense and I thank you for your input. I am always keen to learn so that is something else I have learned. You can understand why a user like myself panics when he sees all this expensive flammable gas venting, with me it is more because I am tight and dont like to waste anything.
                      Thanks Chaz for the lecture and I will now fill my magazines with more care.
                      Alan

Originally posted by chaz_r33_gtr View Post
                      yeah the principle applies for any gas magazine. AS you fill it, some of the liquid vapourises and starts to create pressure inside the magazine, eventually the gas pressure in the magazine stops anymore liquid getting into the mag.

with regards to how does the gas escape, 1) the TM Mag fill valves are not an air tight seal to the gas canister nozzle as there isn't one of the tiny rubber seals you are on about and 2) if you unscrew the fill valve out of the mag you will notice a teeny hole in the side of the fill valve near the top.. this hole lets the gas escape out of the magazine when filling.

So if you install a rubber seal on your TM mag for the outside you can still fill the mag and it will be a 'silent fill' but you wont fill the mag as much as you would without it. Marushin, KWA and TM all seem to have these valves types that vent gas. From my experience only WE mags seem to have an O-ring on the outside,

Comment

If this video is anything to go by maybe TM ought to fitting those little o-rings to their fill valves.

Comment

I strongly suspect that something other than the O ring is responsible for the difference in the number of shots fired.

Comment

Likewise. My TM XDM was incredibly inconsistent

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

fish6634 Find out more about fish6634
                            Working...
                            X