Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propane refill help

Hi all.

I bought a new 6kg propane tank and an adapter to refill my propane tanks. I have chilled the tanks and tried to fill but there is no gas transfer? Am I doing something wrong?

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    sigpic

Re: Propane refill help

What brand is the smaller tank? Sometimes it can be hit and miss over which ones have valves that flow both ways

Comment

These ones

sigpic

Comment

But tbh when I take the 16oz bottle off and turn the 6kg upside down and upon the valve. Hardly anything comes through. And it's mostly air and not cold like propane usually is?

sigpic

Comment

Hmmm seems like they are not fitted with 2 way valves. I have had several that have and several that haven't. Also, the dark green bottles often do not mate with the ai adapter very well, causing a lot of gas to come out of the sides when filling

Comment

Is the adapter supposed to rattle? It has what sounds like a ball inside it

sigpic

Comment

Which adapter? The ai one, or the propane to propane one?

Comment

Propane to propane one

sigpic

Comment

Mine has the small hole left one

sigpic

Comment

Update, so I drilled the hole out and removed the ball and its working. I have managed to transfer some gas. The bottle feels full but only weighs 200g? Tutorials say a full bottle is 800g?

sigpic

Comment

Yeah mines the one on the right.

Did you freeze the little bottle again before trying? What I normally do is turn the little one upside down and release as much of what's left of the propane out of it before refilling. I've not touched the safety release valve whilst refilling as it seems like a bad idea.

The only way I can get mine to refill more is freezing them for longer. How long are you leaving them in the freezer?

Comment

24h in the freezer lol i forgot it was in there

sigpic

Comment

I've had loads of problems with this too. I drilled out the ball bearing in the propane refill adapter which help loads as did chilling the bottle got an hour. Biggest problem is that nearly all bottles that I've bought have one way valves in them so they won't refill. I cut open an empty go system bottle to have a look at the valve inside and it has an anti fill mechanism. I cut this off and welded the bottle back together to test it and it filled to the brim. Didn't trust the welding though so never used the bottle again. I've yet to find a brand that doesn't have an anti refill valve. Seems the manufacturers got wise 😢

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Comment

Done it! I've just filled 2 bottles!

I was being a bit if a div! I had the scales on carpet in the garage and it gave a false reading! I've put 32 lb in now in each. I had 1 bottle out of 4 that wouldn't fill.

I also didn't chill them. Venting the remaining propane out froze the bottle enough lol

Just topped up a half empty. I used a flat head screw driver to open the vent and it refilled. Only put total 31 in that one. Didn't want to over do it!

Last edited by desolation91; 4 July, 2016, 10:53.
                            sigpic

Comment

The Coleman bottles while refillable don't last forever. I've found after about 5 - 6 refills they simply refuse to let anymore liquid propane in them!

I do the same, vent the remaining gas, which chills the bottle and refills.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

desolation91 Simon Find out more about desolation91
                              Working...
                              X