Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suitable sealant for fixing mag

Hi,
    Im currently fixing a leaky Glock 19 mag, Ive taken the mag apart and can see the rubber seals where it is leaking from. I read a guide somewhere about running some silicone sealent around it to seal off the leak.

Someone said a silicone gasket sealent is quite good for this. I found this one....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Does this look ideal?

Pete

Re: Suitable sealant for fixing mag

As long as it is a silicon based lube or sealant it will be ok to use, it may not do the job though as the seal may well need to be replaced.

The reason you need to use silicon based lube or sealant is it keeps the rubber seal in tact. An oil based lube may well degrade or destroy the seal.

Comment

Sorry that link isnt working, try this one..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gasket-pipe-th...efaultDomain_3

It says its an anaerobic sealant, whatever that is? Cant see silicone anywhere.

I found this one too, this one says iut is silicone....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LOCTITE-595-Su...g_Glue_Tape_EH

Comment

To be honest I would try some heavy silicone lube first. Look at Whicks or B&Q. The problem is sealant has to set so it will mean you a mag that is then stuck together.

Comment

Like this?

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.js...&isSearch=true

Comment

Thats the stuff, I use Whicks own but that will probably be the same thing. It is also useful if you play on doing anything inside your Gear box too.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteJC21 View Post
              Sorry that link isnt working, try this one..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gasket-pipe-th...efaultDomain_3

It says its an anaerobic sealant, whatever that is? Cant see silicone anywhere.

I found this one too, this one says iut is silicone....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LOCTITE-595-Su...g_Glue_Tape_EH
              Anaerobic means it 'goes off' with a lack of air. I use a general liquid gasket I picked up from a car accessory place. It fills any gaps that the knackered rubber seal can't fill. Doesn't look pretty as it is bright orange but I have found it works very well. It doesn't say on it what it is made from but I would guess it is silicone based.

edit: Just found my tube - its made by a company called Hermetite. Its quite old and hopefully hasn't been banned due to heath and safety reasons. I've had it kicking round for years as I use it to replace seals on my ancient outboard motor!!
              Last edited by N_Scooby; 25 August, 2010, 10:57.
              JG & TM G36's/CA,JG,TM & WE M4's/TM MP5K/TM & KJW SIG P226's/A&K M249/ACM M500 SSB/3 x TM M3 Super90/TM Hi Capa/TM & ASG MK23 Socom's/WE Baby Hi Capa/KJW M92f/Star L85A2/2 x DE M3 Clone/A&K Magpul Masada

Comment

i've heard and used white silicon grease from b&q

Comment

Cheers for your help guys, i'll give it a go. Am i just applying the lubricant all around the rubber seal? Any guides on doing this, although it does seem straight forward I just want to be sure?

Comment

Best stuff for it I have found is actually leaving the rubber seals overnight in brake fluid. Works really well if they have dried up. Bare in mind that the O-ring will enlarge as well, so do be careful not to leave it in too long!

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Bachelarius View Post
                      Best stuff for it I have found is actually leaving the rubber seals overnight in brake fluid. Works really well if they have dried up. Bare in mind that the O-ring will enlarge as well, so do be careful not to leave it in too long!

Good luck.

Hmm.. interesting, might give this a try... I'll cut the brake cables on my wifes car and drain some out to use.

I did try a bit of ptfe tape and some of the kiss ass gun lube spray I've got, but the tape has just made it really hard to get the seal and plate back on the bottom of the mag.

Comment

Originally posted by Bachelarius View Post

Good luck.
                        +1 if you have the time brake or something like powersteering fluid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

i used some hermitite to create a new oring over the silicon soaked rubber one,

works brilliantly

also for Gbbr mags , use the brake fluid and PTFE tap the groove ao perfect seal

drench the release vales orings in there also as the mags will leak from the valve if not already

Comment

RTV instant gasket is what you need - tried and tested!

Comment

Originally posted by PeteJC21 View Post
                              Hmm.. interesting, might give this a try... I'll cut the brake cables on my wifes car and drain some out to use.
                              nice.
                              Originally posted by richardy
                              Its like preying to the mechbox gods, but preying to the angel of alignment, give us speedy and safe entry into the 1st tooth of life.
                              Amen.
                              Originally posted by midas
                              lol....Oh forgive me gun tech for I have sinned....

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

PeteJC21 Find out more about PeteJC21
                              Working...
                              X