WANTED: A technical guide to fixing gas pistol mags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WANTED: A technical guide to fixing gas pistol mags

I've recently found that one of my KJW P226 mags is leaking out of its side. 'Should have bought the TM ones' I thought, until I found that one of my TM Desert Eagle mags is now leaking out of its valve. I've also got a pair of old USP mags that are leaking all over the place (one KJW and one Tanaka). As you can see, I'm in need of mag repair help.

A while back a user on here called 'TB Stalker' did a great technical guide to AEG gearbox repair and maintenance; I was wondering whether anyone has, or is willing to create, a nice picture-filled and easy-to-follow guide to repairing GBB magazines?

Thanks in advance.
    102nd Chairborne Rangers - "Intelluctus VCRAus recte"

Keyboard Commando - "He who argues until the other person gives up and goes away wins"

Re: WANTED: A technical guide to fixing gas pistol mags

+1 excellent idea bro. When mine have ever totally failed it costs a fiver from my local peterborough based shop to repair. But usually, just a quick tighten up of the screws and the internal one it works fine again.

Comment

Id like to second this request, could be very very useful! When it comes to gas guns Ive got no idea what Im doing!

Comment

I would, but many pistol mags vary in construction for the same gun E.G WE and tm hi-capa mags. Maybe if I get really bored I will give it a shot.

But for now, the best bet is either tighten the valve, or just grease it up. If it is leaking out of the side, normally you will have to push the two rods out of the bottom of the mag (they normally run across the mag) the base plate will come off and there will be a ring of rubber (o-ring) slap some grease on this and put it back together and that normally solves it.

edit: in some cases the valves are knackered, and you will need to replace them.

Comment

As people have said, there's no one-size fits all guide as different mags are built differently, I may give a decent overview at some point if I can be bothered to get myself onto a PC rather than my phone though.

For now though, an idea, this will fix most minor magazine problems as it's usually just the seals drying out. Get a spray can or dropper with light-weight silicon oil, depress the valve in the mag with your finger and give a quick spray or couple of drops of oil into the top of the valve opening, open and close the valve a few times manually, shake the mag and let it stand for a few minutes then give a quick spray of gas into the fill valve and let it stand.
          Hopefully now it should be retaining gas. Part fill the mag then fire it through, cleaning your barrel afterwards as the oil will get vented, then give a quick (1 second) squirt of gas into the magazine and leave it.

One way to avoid seals drying out is to not leave magazines completely empty of gas, a 1 second spray of gas before you store magazines should help maintain the seals.

Hope that helps.

Comment

One of the guys at my local site video for fixing leaking mags tho the video is for a 1911's but it helps alot iv been using for yonks hope it helps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VleqmHU-HzE

Comment

Originally posted by Sam56 View Post
              One of the guys at my local site video for fixing leaking mags tho the video is for a 1911's but it helps alot iv been using for yonks hope it helps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VleqmHU-HzE
              Very nice video!
              Hate.
              "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his

General George S.patton

Dboys AK74U with Samson rail (y)

Comment

http://www.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.p...aking+gas+mags

http://www.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.p...aking+gas+mags

A couple of other threads with useful info. I just fixed my KJW P226 mag.... pop both pins out (weren't too difficult), take the bottom plate off. Take off the o-ring and soak it in some silicone lube for a few hours. Place it back on, give it a spray up with some more silicone spray. I then put a little gasket sealant around it and a little ptfe tape. Pushed it back into place and put the pins in. Left it 24 hours and tried it and all working ok.

Comment

I'm currently trying to fix a leak on a KWA glock extended mag, but I'm finding it impossible to get the pins out. Can anyone help?
                  Others till I die

Comment

Originally posted by ElCarl View Post
                    I'm currently trying to fix a leak on a KWA glock extended mag, but I'm finding it impossible to get the pins out. Can anyone help?

I recently fixed a leaky mag on my KWA Glock (19) too. It was a standard mag and I can tell you.. a real bugger to get the pins out and even harder to get in again. In the end I used a bit of cloth at either end to cushion and used a clamp to push the base plate into palce while I puched the pins in/out. I'm guessing the extended mags will be too long for a clamp though.

All I can suggest is getting a friend to help.. you push the baseplate against something while a friend taps the pins with a hammer and something like a blunt nail. Once they're out a little way flip the mag over and do the same thing, this time gently pulling with a pair of pliars. Just be careful not to damage the pins or they'll be hell to get back in again!

Comment

Here's a guide to Hi Capa style mags, portions will probably apply to other magazines

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjXG97A3pO8
                      Signature Removed

Comment

Got the pins out (with major difficulty and a broken old drill bit) but now can't get the fill valve assembly out. Anyone?
                        Others till I die

Comment

Try taking the fill valve out and then poking something into the hole, push it to the side of the fill valave hole and pull slowly so it drags the base plate up.

Comment

What should I take the valve out with? Bloody pinched my hands about 5 times with some pliers and it really hurts
                            Others till I die

Comment

A dremeled flat screwdriver should do the job.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Longshot Find out more about Longshot
                              Working...
                              X