Project Help: P226 manual image & sanding advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Help: P226 manual image & sanding advice needed

The first airsoft gun I ever bought was a dual tone (note: not two tone, since this was about 1995 when I bought this) springer P226, but in 'reverse dual tone.' I've always fancied having the same thing in a metal GBB, but nobody makes them (even real steel are only black, silver, standard dual tone or 'Equinox'), so I've decided to make it myself using my black KJW P226 and some sanding skills.

Here (roughly) is the look I'm going for:

It's the reverse of the usual dual tone that you see.

What I need help with is:

1, An image of the parts found inside the body of the P226. I don't have a manual for mine, but need to know how to properly remove as many of the working parts as I can so that they aren't damaged in the sanding process. KJW or TM would work, I think.

2, Some advice on the best way to go about doing the sanding - what have people sucessfully used in the past? Advice on 'finish' would be great too - I'd rather a 'matt' type silver/chrone than a polished look.

Cheers in advance.
    102nd Chairborne Rangers - "Intelluctus VCRAus recte"

Keyboard Commando - "He who argues until the other person gives up and goes away wins"

Re: PROJECT HELP: P226 manual image & sanding advice needed

PM on it's way with link to exploded diagram.
    sigpic

Comment

Our first contestant winner is a Mr. R. Robin. He wins my thanks and the title of 'legend.'

Now all I need is some advice on the best way to sand and finish.

Keyboard Commando - "He who argues until the other person gives up and goes away wins"

Comment

I'm starting to think that this sanding malarky may need it's own thread...

Comment

I have a sandblaster compressor attachment, which would do the job perfectly, for a matt finish, your best be would be a sand blast.

just remember to remove all the grease beforehand, and all the sand afterwards

Comment

Long shot, your best bet is to get a satin finish kit form some one like B&Q. That will give you the "brushed" finish on the frame. as for sanding, best bet is patients and some 400 and 800 grain sand paper. Its only paint you are taking off so shouldn't be too much trouble.

Start with the 400 and when you have removed all the paint use the 800 to remove any scratches left by the 400. Then use the satin finish mop in a drill in a vice or something similar to give it an even brushed finish all over. Might be a good idea to put some masking tape over the slide rails to make sure it cycles properly.

Hope that makes sense to you, I do it as a job (partly) so it may not be 100% clear how I have explained it.

Comment

Marui make the P226 with a silver duo-tone frame you know

Comment

Get yourself some wet and dry sandpaper,Strip the gun down, use warmish soapy water dip the sandpaper in and start sanding.

Start with a slightly rougher paper to remove the bulk and then start using finer and finer grit to get the finish you want.

Probly a bit like Abbadons kit but more than likely cheaper

Comment

Originally posted by Apurturesci View Post
                  Marui make the P226 with a silver duo-tone frame you know

No I did not know that! But seeing what it looks like there has convinced me to sand my KJ down. I'm a metal lover, and there's no way I'd sand a Guarder kit or buy the two types to 'mix and match' for the effect!

Comment

Originally posted by Coz View Post
                    Get yourself some wet and dry sandpaper,Strip the gun down, use warmish soapy water dip the sandpaper in and start sanding.

Start with a slightly rougher paper to remove the bulk and then start using finer and finer grit to get the finish you want.

Probly a bit like Abbadons kit but more than likely cheaper
                    Would work as a budget way of doing it but it would take alot longer and the finish wouldn't be as even.

A satin finish mop would cost about £10-15 and all you need is an electric drill. The result will be MILES better than by hand. Always try and get the finest one possible as the finish is much nicer over all and will wear better than a courser finish. Its also alot harder to do any "damage" to the metal this way.

I do this for a living with fine jewellery and steel is alot tougher than gold so you should be fine really. I had to do a satin finish with sand paper today and it took me about a hour when it normally takes less than 5 minuets with a mop (also bear in mind that is for a section of silver probably 1 inch square, so a whole pistol frame will take you the best part of an afternoon if not longer) . Also this way you wouldn't have to mess around with stripper which is horrible stuff.

Comment

Re: Project Help: P226 manual image & sanding advice needed

Well, here's what I've decided: this project idea is going on hold for a while.

Despite being a KJW this gun has served me well and I really don't want to bugger it up. I don't want to attempt any sanding or chemical treating until I can get all the internals out and be left with just the metal frame to work on (for a variety obvious reasons). Started trying to do that today and just ran into far too many troubles getting the parts out (despite having the exploded diagram).

In the future I want to get a nice TM Guardered-up P226, at which point I'll give playing with my KJ's internals another shot, but until then I'm not confident enough in the full takedown to damage a gun that is one of my main sidearms.

Cheers for all the advice though.

Comment

Re: Project Help: P226 manual image & sanding advice needed

Can I be pm'd the exploded diagram please!? I was thinking of tinkering with mine but it looks a little crap around the hammer area etc.

Took my old hi capa to bits but then I had a spare to butcher first off lol

WARNING. Post may contain traces of sarcasm. If you do not understand this, I pity your existence.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Longshot Find out more about Longshot
                        Working...
                        X