chroming/polishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chroming/polishing

hi all,apologies if a similar thread is already up,but i coodnt find 1.sitting at home bored and am wanting to start chroming/polishing my 1911's,but have no idea where to start
    any and all advice would be much appreciated

thanks

Re: chroming/polishing

very fine wet and dry paper, or sandblasting, and then polish with lots of elbow grease

Comment

Don't forget to strip the frame first. Don't remove the paint using any abrasive techniques, its a complete waste of time. Save your strength for plenty of polishing/buffing.

Comment

Once paint is off use 1000 grit wet and dry moving on to finer grades to polish to a higher degree, finishing up on 2500 for uber shine! Always keep to ONE direction of motion or it will ruin the effect and you will have to repeat the last grade.

Basically your just scratching the surface with smaller and smaller scratches for every grade. This is why you need to keep all your 'scratches' in the same direction or it will look a right mess. No substitute for taking your time here!!

Also, don't lean too hard on the sandpaper! Let it do its job.
        To put into perspective it could take an hour or more to mirror shine a slide stop!!
        Last edited by bladerider; 24 February, 2011, 09:54.
        Western arms pistol parts needed please pm me
        Any Full Metal WA pistols? Sell me them!!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Prowler Find out more about Prowler
        Working...
        X