WE 1911 Hammer + Slide catch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WE 1911 Hammer + Slide catch

Hey guys hope you can help with this, they're not major issues but it annoys me enough to post a thread about them

First off is the hammer, it has enough play in it so that when it's locked back to just touch the bottom of the slide, and if I release the slide slowly enough it can catch and stop the slide early, but moving the pistol will free it up
    So not much of an issue, more of an annoyance.

Secondly is the slide catch, it gets 'stuck', like it's not got enough force to push it up

Unless I put 2 bb's under the springs in all my mags the catch won't engage or unless I pull the slide back hard, which I don't want to do all the time. The catch looks like it's got a nub on it and it looks like that's what's making it catch and not move, would it work if I sanded down the nub on the catch? Can someone get me a pic of their slide catch on their 1911 for referance? Thanks

Just two minor niggles, but I'd like them sorted out just for peace of mind really, any other ideas?
    I appreciate any help I may get

Re: WE 1911 Hammer + Slide catch

Reagrding the hammer the majority of WE's do that the 3 WE's that i have had have all had that problem.
    i have opened them all up to check for wear on the hammer mechanism and nothing it's just how they are made.
    Regarding the second part of the post i didn't really get what you meant, if you could possibly explain in more depth i can look into it for you.
    Nobody asked to be a hero, it just sometimes turns out that way.

Comment

The mag springs are too slack in we mags, take the spring out and give it a stretch, I had to do this with mine and a few mates.

WARNING. Post may contain traces of sarcasm. If you do not understand this, I pity your existence.

Comment

Thank's for that M4 killa, I'll think about sanding down the hammer to a point where it doesn't catch anymore because I can't stand that... I'm also thinking about modifying the hammer mech to get rid of the unrealistic 'half-cocked' position so I can drop the hammer with one in the chamber, like real 1911's.
        The rear of the slide catch (when you're shooting the pistol, the part of it that is facing you, the same bit that is in contact with the nub that is also in contact with the safety) has a little bump on it, it could be described as a nub too and it makes the mag need a bit more force to engage the slide lock so sometimes it won't lock back

And Danny boy85, thanks for that advice, it does provide an alternative to having to put 2 bb's under the spring... Still, I think I'll buy a spare slide catch and sand the nub off of it and see if it works.

EDIT: If someone could upload a picture of the rear of their WE slide catch, that would be majorly appreciated!
        Last edited by Cerbo Knight; 17 March, 2011, 12:56. Reason: Request

Comment

Yeah the spring inside that pushes the 2 nubs out is pretty strong. You could try taking it out by removing the safety lever and cutting it down. This would then let the slide release raise easier. The tm offerings are much more slack and their mag springs are stronger too.

Reference the half cocking, gbb hammers don't work by pressure, you can't thumb them forward all the way as it just clicks the striking arm forward into the mag valve. I tried once..... it hurt!

Good luck though matey! Hope in the info helps.

WARNING. Post may contain traces of sarcasm. If you do not understand this, I pity your existence.

Comment

Owch, I had my theories about that and now I know not to lower the hammer haha, I'll still get rid of the half-cock mark for realism's sake as only the original 1911 and possibly the 1911A1 had a half-cock feature, it's not present on today's MEU and it won't be on mine :D

Comment

Yeah the half cock is just a tooth on the hammer I believe, so a quick file attack and that should sort it lol.

Yeah thumbing the hammer forward with a nice warm mag hurts lol!

Comment

I filed the nub of the slide catch so it can move more freely, locks back every time now when the mag is empty.

Also if you ever loose the small bit that pushes against the safety, use a biro nib.

Over 150 positive sales & trades on this and other forums!

Comment

Cheers mate! this was exactly what I was looking for :D

I think I'll do that after I rid my MEU of its god awful paint, and replace it with something that doesn't feel like it was painted by a 5 year old :p

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Working...
                  X