Gas Pistol Newbie Advice Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Pistol Newbie Advice Needed

Won a AA R45 Detonics Combat Master Pistol in a raffle but its my first GBB, so i was looking for advice on the following subjects...

1. Thinking of running it on Propane, so which brand/type is best?
    (already got eyes on an adapter for it )
    2. Recommended maintenance advice ie good lub etc and the frequency/method of application.

So pretty much a noobs guide to GBB pistols, sorry in advance if there is a thread/post that deals with this already.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Gas Pistol Newbie Advice Needed

Personally I wouldnt use propane, yes its cheaper but if you use green gas you would get nice power and its not that expensive but most of all it is propane with silicone added so it has a bit of lube in there to help witht the inner workings and stops all the seals from drying up.

As for lube I use Abbey silicone oil as it doesnt damage any rubbers, DO NOT USE WD40 as the oil 'eats away' at all the seals apparently, this seems to be the general concensus, I've never tried so couldnt tell you first hand.

Apply the lube (tee hee gotta laugh) sparingly on all metal to metal contact, so the slide grooves and the lips (again gotta laugh) on the frame. Also the Blowback unit but not the actual nozzle as itll get into the barrel and subsequently the hop up rubber, making it very inaccurate. Also a little on the mag valve doesnt harm it.

A point to note is not to remove the Blowback unit from the gun as there will be two springs (possibly one for the detonics .45?) in the blowback unit and if you bent, twist, stretch or snag them they will deform rendering them quite useless and it will make your nice GBB into a gas operated springer pretty much, and finding new springs in my experience is a pain in the backside.

Sparingly means that a nice drop or two on a Q-tip should do the whole job pretty much. Remember that after each skirmish you should clean the pistol, whether it gets fired or not as dirt can and will get in it without you realising, so a clean and relube after each skirmish or after every 15 mags of plinking is what I go by and have never had any probs with my GBB pistols unless caused by me. The same pretty much applies to my AEG aswell, but extend the mags to 30 for plinking.

Hope this helps and any other questions do not hesitate to ask.

Luke

Comment

Colemans propane is available at reasonable prices, best coupled with the Airsoft Innovations propane adaptor (made from plastic, to help protect your fill valves). I re-lube my GBB sidearms every 20-30 mags, it feels like it's enough. You also don't need to have it swimming in it. There's a great video on how to maintain 1911's on youtube, which applies to all other GBB's, now if I could only find it for you...

Comment

It's probably a good idea to run it on Green for a while until you get used to it, then switch to propane later.

And one important thing to remember: Leave the mags with some gas in them. It makes sure the seals stay lubricated, and helps prevent leaks.

Comment

Thanks for the advice gents

Comment

just wondering if you can use the madbull adapter on a rothenburger propane gas i only ask as i'm a plumber and i can get it for free

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

UNMORTAL I can be a bit of a dick, take it or leave it. Find out more about UNMORTAL
            Working...
            X