CO2 Pistol Cold Weather Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CO2 Pistol Cold Weather Problem

Has anyone had a problem with a CO2 pistol where after firing one shot, the top valve leaks continuosly until the cartridge is empty?

Scenario is the mag (with CO2 bulb installed) and gun were kept in the house until game day. First thing in the morning, I go to the site (ambient temp 4-10 degrees), load the gun and fire 1 round. Then low volume hisssssssssss...

Re: CO2 Pistol Cold Weather Problem

try some silicone on the seals see if it helps

Comment

Certainly sounds like a valve issue, CO2 isn't effected by the cold, well not noticeably anyways!
      section 24 of the 1968 Act
      Supplying imitation firearms to minors
      1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm
      2)It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of eighteen.

Comment

Yeah, I specifically got the gun for use in the cold. So far, I've not been able to use it because of the leaks.
        It's a KWC CO2 M1911A1, fitted with a RaTech System 7 type NPAS, if anyone's interested in specifics.

It's not really audible until you put the mag right by your ear, so first time I took it out, after chronoing it (my local chronos CO2 pistols) I put it in the holster until I needed it. I didn't know about the leak until later in the day when someone asked me about the gun. I handed it to him to try it, and it just clicked. Checked the mag and it was empty of gas. I put in another CO2 bulb and fired off a couple of shots, then heard the leak.

My TM 1911 has been more reliable - It works.

Will try silicone - didn't really expect to need to do that on a new gun.

Could storing the mags upside down cause the problem?
        Is the CO2 in a liquid state in those 12g bulbs, and could it be cooling the valve more than usual?

Comment

Before you touch the mag with silicone

The we co2 mags do this when they are new

The knocker or release valve has a HP red oring inside
          They need to be soaked in silicone grease or brake fluid to keep them supple and working

Then you just as a small drop of silicone each time you renew the co2 bulb
          Placing it on the recess where the puncture nozzle is in the mag

The oring needs to be left for a few hours
          You'll know when it's ready as it will stop bubbling and popping

Then works sweet as a nut with 350+ fps and average of 5mags of ammo

Comment

Originally posted by r6shooter View Post
            They need to be soaked in silicone grease or brake fluid to keep them supple and working
            So smear on some silicone grease and leave it a few hours, then wife off the excess?

Comment

Interesting development:
              I got the 2 mags out of the bag to start work on them this afternoon, and discovered they still have gas in them.
              I fired the gun with them in, and they did the leaking thing again, but only for a minute or so.
              I'm now wondering if they need to be "worn-in"...

I think I'll use them until empty, then do the soaking thing.

Comment

I took the valve out just now - There are no seals on the moving part, or where it contacts the body of the valve.
                The moving part is a metal cone, and there's a PTFE end on the valve which it seals against. That means no rubber to "soak".

Comment

Yeah there should be a rubber seal mate as this stops the leaking

Trying to think if it's a rocket style valve

If so mate, when you renew the co2

Invert the mag as if your filling gas mags, look into the mag and there is a rubber seal under the gas router where the top of the co2 seal sits

Drip some silicone on there and will blast through the seals when fires

Comment

Yeah there should be a rubber seal mate as this stops the leaking

Trying to think if it's a rocket style valve

If so mate, when you renew the co2

Invert the mag as if your filling gas mags, look into the mag and there is a rubber seal under the gas router where the top of the co2 seal sits

Drip some silicone on there and will blast through the seals when fires
                    I doubt that's going to help, especially as I tried applying silicone directly to the valve.
                    The only rubber seals to do with the firing valve are the non-moving seat seal, where the valve is tightened against the body of the magazine, and a seal around the firing pin to reduce leakage when it's open for firing.
                    I'll try to sort out a photo later.

I'm told by the shop I got it from that they've had intermittent problems with the same guns, and have been in touch with the manufacturer and supplier in Hong Kong. They've sent him a different valve to try out, as they think a different valve might be needed for cooler climates.

I'm wondering if the non-rubber seal was a cost-saving thing that didn't show problems in the warmer climate where these things are normally tested.

Comment

There should be a hp oring on the valve

So if you've been told that the supplier did the cost cutting way
                      That's not right even more with co2 bulbs

If the only rubber bits on your mag is the actually seating valve and the mag gas router
                      Check there is no recesses on the valve itself

Will be able to help more when see photos later

Comment

Probably not the best thing, but my old co2 .177 pistol leaked, we just put a bit of vaseline around the valve and it worked a treat...
                        -TM Recoil M16 Custom- -TM 1911 MEU- -Tanaka SAA- -TM HK45- -JG G36k Ris-
                        -ECHO1 SA58 OSW- -A&K Masada- -VFC FNX-45- -TM Recoil AKs-74u-

Comment

Here's the photo of the valve:
                          valve.jpg

On the left, the valve is closed. In the middle and right, the valve is being held open.
                          The white part doesn't move, and is hard plastic.

Comment

Does the white lid come out of the valve housing???

The leak will be from that white housing

If it comes off check there isn't a small oring inside when the valve bar is held open

Comment

It comes off, but it doesn't move when firing, and no o-ring inside - the only part that moves is shown in the photos. The rim of the white part is pressed against the valve seal o-ring on the magazine housing when the valve is screwed in. Therefore the only path for the leak is around the housing seal (unlikely firing would cause that), or the metal/plastic valve opening shown in the photos.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

No1_sonuk Find out more about No1_sonuk
                              Working...
                              X