Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WE Scar (latest version) and CO2?

Hi,

Sorry if I'm asking questions that have all been asked before but I'm new to this and quite a stupid person!

I've just bought a WE gbb Scar with a gas mag and this is a problem because winter is here. I know I should have waited till summer but I couldn't, I was just too excited about the kick and it is a very, very cool gun.

I've read a fair amount that seems to suggest that co2 does not suffer anywhere as much as green/134a gas during winter so I'm very tempted to throw mr wallet at a whole bunch of v expensive co2 mags.

The things that are stopping me are fairly obvious so I wondered if anyone had any thoughts regarding -

1) Has anyone got first hand experience of co2 in the winter and found it to be a huge advantage over green/134a?

I.e. if its very cold my KJ works 229 will freeze and vent all the gas from the mag after 5-8 rapid shots on 134a but will go approx 14-18 shots on green. So does co2 give significantly more shots before freezing than green gas?

2) "CO2 kills guns" is something I've read in lots of places... WE claim the scar is built for co2 and should suffer no problems, yet there are plenty of pictures of the early model Scars which have blown the recoil spring through the stock mount on co2. This apparently has been beefed up in the later (mines a spanking new one) models and I have read there is a metal version of the stock mount plate due out soon.

So has anyone used CO2 in the WE scar for any length of time with/without faults developing??

3) RA Tech N.P.A.S. valve - Anyone fitted one of these to a scar yet? I'm very interested in being able to dial in the power so I can use the weapon at different sites but wondered if anyone had used the valve for a period of time as it would appear to me that it might just shake it's self further open or closed during firing and therefore affect the FPS while in use... I would hate to set it up and Crono it at 350 fps only to have it vibrate out and start firing at 500fps during the course of the day!

Funny though that might be I have really taken to this and would hate to get banned from my local site for a stupidly hot gun.

ANY thoughts you have the time to spare would be a massive help because the mags for this gun aren't cheap and I need to make a decision on which way to go...

Cheers in advance for any help!

Madpix
    Quote - "besides read what you said you sounded really left haha daisy down my tightbore left."

Re: WE Scar (latest version) and CO2?

Hi Madpix,

I will try and help you best I can I don't own a SCAR but I do own a WE M4 CO2 variant that actually has a RA-tech Npas fitted but mine has the SCAR Npas fitted as I couldn't get the m4 version the only difference in them is the guide rod length.

1. CO2 is much more stable at low temperatures, you don't have to worry so much, but if you chrono your gun on the day you use it with green gas, leave your mags in the cold, you should be able to get a stable FPS from green gas. Recoil to be honest is about the same on green gas or Co2.

I use Zeroone green gas its by far the most stable I Have used, almost as powerful recoil as CO2 and I mean its only a minor minor difference, it will generally give me 2 mags to 1 fill.

2. CO2 will not kill your gun if you take proper precautions, Lubrication is essential! and maybe a stronger buffer spring if your worried, don't over look cleaning.

3. My valve is stable at 350FPS all day long, hasn't come lose yet. I would invest in the Deluxe NPAS key though as it has a keyring eye the standard one doesn't and I lost it in about an hour.

I use green gas at the moment because Co2 capsules are a git to get out of the magazine to change lol plus I only have 1x CO2 mag as there VERY VERY hard to get hold of (I have an order placed but still its a 1 month waiting list!) and I have 5 gas magazines that were far easier to get hold of they are £30 each.

Green gas will cost you less over all as its cheaper, but i got 50co2 crossman capsules for £18 just for reference.

I think that covers what you wanted to know if you need anything else just ask
    Systema M4

Comment

I'll throw in another vote for RAtech's NPAS sysetm. I have it in my AGM M4 and it's very nice bit of kit.

Comment

1. co2 vs green gas you will defantly see a difference when shooting in full auto. The green gass just wastes away realy quicky on the cool days.

2. The only thing to worry about on useing co2 on the scar is that plate on the stock. Some people get the probelm but i havent on my old ones. Only thing you can do is wait for the renforced one to come out.

3.yeh definitely get the RAtech NPAS, and not the tsc one.

Comment

Yeah the RA-Tech variant is so so much better! the TSc one was well useless worst £25 I have spent.

Lubricant is an issue with CO2 as well it needs to be able to cope with cold temperatures but as to how cold I don't know whether its Spray, Oil or grease I don't know.

Last night I emailed WETTI and asked for some answers ask to what to use and where..

Personally I think just from my own observations and what I have heard else where that grease is thick but a Molykote 33 Medium is okay, as for Oil's Slip 2000 is good
          Systema M4

Comment

hi, i know im a bit late
            Just a quick question to perfect shadows, where did you get gas mags for £30?

Cheers
            Reece

Comment

Wookie you wont, every where is either sold out or isnt at £40

Comment

in response to you questions, i have first hand experience with my GBB Scar,
                Good gun. Much easier to use than the M4 ( being left handed ) its alot easier to cock. And the blowback looks better!
                I had the problem of running mine on Co2 and i went through 2-3 hinge plates before i decided to wack a pin through the back of the body into the buffer guide. No problems since.
                Co2 gives a much different sound and a little bit better kick. But nothing to go yaying about.
                NPAS is essential. Very easy to fit. just make sure you use locktite. Mine and my brothers both came apart. I ended up with a £40 lump of metal smashing up in my cylinder!

As for getting the Co2 bulbs out. Thats an easy fix.

Remove bottom plate,
                Take out bottom screw
                Gently pull mag internals from case ( make sure you dont loose the bolt catch pin )
                Remove the large screw that holds Co2 bulbs in.
                Just after the threaded area take a piece of sand paper and open this out a little bit. Job done

The worst issue with the Scar is the hop unit ( same as the M4, WE Standard hops. ... Diabolical )

You can fit a stinger unit. and they generally work. Though mine didnt but im going to put that down to not shimming enough. As it had no hop. But at least the bb's went straight!

Better off buying mags from abroad if you cant get them here

Though now i feel thankful my supplier can get me mags easily and not to expensive either
                Chandler

TM 226r, SYSTEMA PTW, Custom built m4, DE shotty, what else would a man need ?

Comment

its been a long time now, any news on how the co2 mags are holding up, just got mine fresh from the works and wondering what mags to get. how long does the co2 bulbs last?

if anyone does read this because it is an old thread. im going to order a load of gear from ******* airsoft (its where im getting my npas) will i be charged when it arrives at my door for importing ?

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Madpix Find out more about Madpix
                  Working...
                  X