Double O-ring piston head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double O-ring piston head?

So I am sitting at home bored on a day off and I thought to myself " why don't we use double o-ring piston heads? I mean we use double o-ring nozzles and cylinder heads." I searched google and found one double o-ring piston head made by "magic box" picture is bellow.

I thought I could do better so I got two piston heads and modded them so they can fit together (no glue involved). I have got ports for the first and second o-ring as well. I have noticed it did improve airseal but I can get the same amount of airseal with high grade parts but this is the thing I was only using JG parts.

The downsides I can see is:
    1) Sorbo pads can't be fitted.
    2) It takes quite abit of time to make the piston head
    3)More weight on the piston

Here are some picutres of my piston head.

What do you guys think of it?

Thanks for reading.

Re: Double O-ring piston head?

Put in to ur gun making sure ur aoe is fine and test it to see if there is any major differents if not then no point

Comment

Originally posted by humphriesryan View Post
      Put in to ur gun making sure ur aoe is fine and test it to see if there is any major differents if not then no point
      I have put it in my gun and corected the AOE, I wont be able to see the difference until I go to work tomorrow so I can use a chrono on it.

Comment

Because double o-ring cylinder heads are a gimmick? Have not seen double o-ring nozzles before though, that's a new one for me. Only seen ones where you pick the correct size ring for your setup.

Either way, air is not meant to get past the first o-ring and if the pressure is high enough to blow 1 o-ring, it will blow both (this is the case for cylinder heads as well). All I can see this mod doing is increasing friction and thus decreasing consistency, as well as weight/space etc. which you already mentioned.

You can probably get a similar results simply by soaking the oring in silicone/brake fluid and/or stretching it to get the ideal seal

Kudos for actually trying it out though and seeing the effects.

Comment

Originally posted by Bachelarius View Post
          Because double o-ring cylinder heads are a gimmick? Have not seen double o-ring nozzles before though, that's a new one for me. Only seen ones where you pick the correct size ring for your setup.

Either way, air is not meant to get past the first o-ring and if the pressure is high enough to blow 1 o-ring, it will blow both (this is the case for cylinder heads as well). All I can see this mod doing is increasing friction and thus decreasing consistency, as well as weight/space etc. which you already mentioned.

You can probably get a similar results simply by soaking the oring in silicone/brake fluid and/or stretching it to get the ideal seal

Kudos for actually trying it out though and seeing the effects.
          Very good points there mate, I have gotton much better airseal just by getting a new air nozzle then doing some free mods..

I havent seen anyone do it before beside that magic box company so I thought I will try it and most likely it will just be a gimmick but you just never know it might improve something. Without experimenting you will never get improvements .

Thanks for your imput.

Comment

Definitely, like I said, nice one for trying it out. The only benefit I see in the Magic Box's first o-ring is that the metal of the piston head can never come in contact with the cylinder itself, so it acts like a bumper, thus it will never scratch up the inside of the cylinder. Don't know if it is a non-issue or not however, I avoid metal piston heads like the plague regardless :P

Comment

As said above, complete gimmick.
              A single o-ring ported piston head is all you need, As the piston fly's forwards creating pressure that goes down the ports and expands the o-ring fully open. A second one behind it would just sit there and do nothing all day long.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

SAS Scott Pure petrol head who is also crazy about airsoft. Find out more about SAS Scott
              Working...
              X