Homemade airsoft mortar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade airsoft mortar

Thinking of making a homemade airsoft mortar, trying for a copy of a 60mm British mortar, my only problem is how to fire the projectiles as a self contained unit that will go off when it hits the bottom of the barrel. I have thought of essentially putting a modded m203 in the bottom to fire it, but i want it as realistic as possible.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Homemade airsoft mortar

Hey bud.

Me and a mate were gonna do this a while ago but never got round to it.

We were just gonna use some piping with a pin at the bottom....as long as the pipingss the right diameter, the pin should set off the nade when dropped in from shear gravity.

Comment

Yeah i've seen that, but how do you then recover the 40mm afterwards, i want it to be as fast firing as the real thing, what i am after firing is smoke or thunderflash grenades.

Comment

Just for arguments sake, a question for those of you that have tried it, how far does a moscart lauch a smoke grenade out of an m203?

Comment

Originally posted by gorilla View Post
          Yeah i've seen that, but how do you then recover the 40mm afterwards, i want it to be as fast firing as the real thing, what i am after firing is smoke or thunderflash grenades.
          I don't think it would actually launch the grenade, because that just sounds dangerous, it sounds like it would act in the same way as pretty much any airsoft grenade launcher as in like a giant shotgun. I also think launching pyro from a homemade mortar is a bad idea to be honest, it just seems to scream health and safety issues.

Check out the Hakkotsu Hades Arrow 70mm Rocket Mortar for something that is safe to use in airsoft, I imagine it would hurt if it hit someone but hopefully you can avoid it lol
          "The only easy day was yesterday"

Originally posted by woody549
          Guns + Booze + Friends + Fun = Winning

Comment

Yeah, seen that, couple of issues tho- it doesn't really have the wow factor of pyro and getting the spares and recovering the ammo is a problem esp when you needs at least 4 or 5 rounds just for a single fire mission.

Comment

I cant see a viable way of launching pyro with a moscart, if the moscart is is co2 there is a chance that it will put the pyro out, if the moscart is using propane then well, not the best of ideas to say the least, I did hear of a two stage pyro that a company in the uk where using for special effects so that might be worth a look into. The Hades mortar is probably your best bet, nothing is left in the tube, so you can fire in quick succession without the need to empty the tube and they seem to go pretty far, another way would be to have a trap door or similar contraption on the bottom for quick access to remove the spent shell.
              PM me if you're looking for S-ARMS M4 mags

Comment

Could you use a thunderflash/ball grenade to launch a tennis ball painted black or something

Comment

I agree with the comment above, this reeks of health and safety issues, I for one would be pretty pissed if a pyro landed on my head cos someone had launched it from a moscart.

If I saw someone at my local site with one of these, I would have words with the site manager, if they did nothing, I would probably leave.

If you just intend to rain down bb's using a moscart shell...do it...I can't see it being very good at all, but go for it.

I will be at the NAE 27th-30th August and replies to messages may be slow, bear with me!

Comment

To be honest im thinking of a system that would airburst a smoke or a thunderflash, having seen the hades demo i would say that having an empty smoke grenade ie cardboard tube landing on ur head wouldnt be as bad as a hades mortar.

Comment

Originally posted by gorilla View Post
                      To be honest im thinking of a system that would airburst a smoke or a thunderflash, having seen the hades demo i would say that having an empty smoke grenade ie cardboard tube landing on ur head wouldnt be as bad as a hades mortar.
                      Its a tricky area, at the end of the day thunderflashes are explosives and smokes burn as well. I just can't imagine a site being happy with the potential of launching actual explosives at people (most of the sites I have attended even rule no throwing pyro at a live target, then imagine the potential effects of allowing a pyro launcher into the game). Not saying you would do this but the possibility is there.

Also with the Hades, you can see it and most likely get out of its way before it lands, but I don't know.
                      "The only easy day was yesterday"

Originally posted by woody549
                      Guns + Booze + Friends + Fun = Winning

Comment

A friend of mine said tennis ball throwers (those thing people use for throwing balls for dogs) are banned at the sites she plays at because the pyro stays airborne long enough for the fuse to burn out.
                        This means a grenade could go off in someone's face.

The only difference with the mortar idea is the trajectory.

Comment

I've seen mortars used on site during games.

But they have always been supplied by the site owners and have always been used against a designated target with a pyrotechnic trained marshal shouting "fire in the hole" , "incoming" against the defenders.

The games scenario has been to advance the mortar close enough to a target to land 1 out of 3 shots on the specified target whist the defenders try to take out the mortar team.

Unless you involve the site owner and have it evaluated and then incorporated into a game this is going to be a non-starter. An ordinary player raining explosive down randomly could upset site users.

Comment

The Sterling game at Catterick in March had a motor in the game I'm not sure who owned it but they where launching smokes about 80-100 meters but you could see the smoke trail as it lunched which worked really well. you don't need thermobangs as the area of the smoke being dropped should as as a kill zone or if its just for covering an attack or retreat then if you can it might be worth using different colour smokes.

Comment

We have used the special effects mortar pyro rounds in our Vietnam games several times. They are designed so that the explode after they have landed, so no worries about them landing on someones head....
                              They weigh no more than a standard thermobaric and conciderably less than the Hades round. (I'm not sure I would be happy with the chance of those large fin stabilisers hitting someone)

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

gorilla Not unless your a signatory to the official secrets act Find out more about gorilla
                              Working...
                              X