Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY molle stuff

Evening chaps (and chapesses, probably more aimed at you (oo err, sexism)):

The girlfriend has just bought a Singer sewing machine, and ive taken to stitching up some badges to velcro backing with it. I'm currently talking with a friend(s mum) who is a bit of a boss at sewing stuff with a view to covering the back of my patrol pack with molle laddering, but I started to think:

Why not make my own pouches? Nothing fancy like mag pouches or anything like that, something slightly more forgiving, IE a hydration pouch.

The reason being I already have a perfectly good camelbak bladder and quite like the idea of making a pouch that will fit it and slapping it on the back of my chest rig.

So, TL:DnR

Question time - where can I get nylon/cordura fabric in Coyote Tan in the UK? 2 yards can be had off ebay for 15 quid plus ten quid postage from the us, which I simply cant afford :P
    Where can i get velcro pieces in Coyote Tan - similar situation?
    Will i need a high power sewing machine or not? (I'm already sorted for synthetic high strength thread, and I'll be using Denim needles)

But the big one: Has anyone done anything like this? Is it easy? Any tips and tricks?

I've had a google and am basically trying to evaluate whether I can do this cheaper than buying a pouch :P
    Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Re: DIY molle stuff

You will definately need an industrial machine, I found this out myself! My mums machine is powerful enough to stitch leather and other thick fabrics with the right needle, but with 1000D Cordura, instant needle snap, OR the machines safety would cut in... I was trying to double stich four layers of cordura together to make a small pouch (two sections both folded at the seam)... You can try it but Cordura isn't cheap. Think you may be able to buy Cordura online, I got it from a company that makes the canopies for princess yachts and ragtops for the local landy dealership, you might have somewhere similar near to you?

BTW, if you're patient, I had more success hand stitching- you can wiggle the needle through the weave a little, BUT this is really hard on your hands and not easy (keeping a stitch straight and even when you're fighting it is pretty hard)...
    Originally posted by Walter Gropius
    If your contribution has been vital there will always be somebody to pick up where you left off, and that will be your claim to immortality.

Comment

I dabble! For your first pouch you'd be best off making something smaller. Sewing up stuff like this isn't hard, but it does require practice, lots of practice if you're precious about how your gear looks! I would say that a mag pouch would be easier to whip up than a hydration pouch involving a zip.

I've had no luck finding coyote brown/ tan cordura for retail in the UK, same goes for Khaki or any similar shades. Only stuff I've managed to get hold of cheaply is either dpm cordura or solid civvy colours like black. Cream is the closest colour I've managed to find to coyote which isn't ideal.

Like I said, practice on scraps of material before you dive into trying to sew expensive cordura, that's the main advice I can offer!
      Buy my stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Phatvortex View Post
        I dabble! For your first pouch you'd be best off making something smaller. Sewing up stuff like this isn't hard, but it does require practice, lots of practice if you're precious about how your gear looks! I would say that a mag pouch would be easier to whip up than a hydration pouch involving a zip.

I've had no luck finding coyote brown/ tan cordura for retail in the UK, same goes for Khaki or any similar shades. Only stuff I've managed to get hold of cheaply is either dpm cordura or solid civvy colours like black. Cream is the closest colour I've managed to find to coyote which isn't ideal.

Like I said, practice on scraps of material before you dive into trying to sew expensive cordura, that's the main advice I can offer!
        Is that official cordura you were using or a similar nylon? Your machine run it ok if it is cordura? (maybe I was over-constructing things!)
        If your contribution has been vital there will always be somebody to pick up where you left off, and that will be your claim to immortality.

Comment

Ive found a website that sells pouches/straps/velcro (was just gonna put a velcro flap on the top of the pouch to save on effort), but i can only find 500d/1000d cordura from the US :P

I've also sewn this stuff by hand before - repairing a holster - took bloody forever!

Unless I find cheap fabric to practice with I think I'll pass on this - dont particularly fancy breaking the girlfriends sewing machine!

Comment

Originally posted by a_flea View Post
            Is that official cordura you were using or a similar nylon? Your machine run it ok if it is cordura? (maybe I was over-constructing things!)
            Yeah it is. To be fair though, I have an old singer that's built like a brick shit-house.
            Buy my stuff!

Comment

My girlfriend has one of the smaller lighter weight singers, mayble I'll give it a slow and careful try with a few straps of webbing and see if it can hack that before moving onto expensive materials.

Comment

Originally posted by dave38x View Post
                My girlfriend has one of the smaller lighter weight singers, mayble I'll give it a slow and careful try with a few straps of webbing and see if it can hack that before moving onto expensive materials.
                Yeah give it a go, worst that could happen is that you might need to get out the puppy dog eyes if you snap a needle. I imagine you won't break the machine as they normally have safety devices (like a torque activated clutch with temporary shut down) built in...

Comment

Hmm I'd considered looking up a military tailor/rigger to make me a MOLLE sheath for a cold steel training knife but this might be the way to go, pretty sure I know someone with a sewing machine.
                  "The only easy day was yesterday"

Originally posted by woody549
                  Guns + Booze + Friends + Fun = Winning

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

dave38x East midlands based airsofter & member of Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team. I am the team armourer and do the majority of our tech-work, as well as tech work/one off manufacturing jobs for others. Find out more about dave38x
                  Working...
                  X