M4 outer barrels and an M203.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M4 outer barrels and an M203.

Hi all, first thread + first post I think!
    Apologies in advance if its a bit convoluted or if it doesn't make a lot of sense haha
    I recently brought a M4 RIS CQB, with the intention of turning it into a CoD4-inspired M4 SOPMOD (Red Dot Sight, Silencer, Barrel mounted M203, PEQ box, Magpuls) but I've come across a problem in regards to the M203 I'm about to buy (Dboys 3-in-1 short). I've got a CQB M4 (10.5" barrel) as I play at CQB and Woodland sites, so the ability to slap a silencer and longer internal barrel for longer ranges/ woodland areas and keep a shorter barrel for CQB is very helpful. I also dislike standard 14.5 M4 barrels/up and down landscape they have going on/indent and it would ruin the look I'm trying to get. The thing is that those barrels are the only ones I've seen with the little indent on it that allows the front mount of an M203 to attach onto the barrel. I use silencers often, so I need to be able to use both which atm would be impossible as the barrel is too short/ the M203's front mount would be where the flash hider/silencer attaches. I'm not going to use a RIS mounted M203 as imo they're ugly as hell and they sit too low for me and the look I'm trying to get. So what I'm really trying to say is is there any way, I don't mind a bit of minor modification to the M203, I can keep a shorter outer barrel, around 11-13" and attach a barrel mounted M203 on it? That way I can keep a shorter profile than a standard M4, and have my M203 and silencer.

-Grizzly

Re: M4 outer barrels and an M203. First post!

I wonder how difficult it would be to remove a couple millimetres off the width of the barrel without a lathe? If I could do that, then it would be fine

Comment

Re: M4 outer barrels and an M203. First post!

just use a Ris mounted one...
      If you ever need any weightlifting, protein or gym advice let me know.

Comment

Re: M4 outer barrels and an M203.

I had a similar problem on one of my guns. I was going to machine an adaptor that would screw onto the barrel and have the right dimensions for the M203 to attach, it'd then have a thread on the end to attach a silencer.

This is what my setup looked like:

Comment

Yeah thats pretty much what mine would look like Opossum. How easy would it be to modify the front mount? Its just a band of metal with cut outs to fit the curvature of the barrel. You could probably make your own out of a bit of PVC pipe and screw it into the mount (if its like the QD front mount on the dboys launcher)
          And RIS M203's are ugly. What did you end up doing or did you chuck it haha

Comment

I'm going to see how easy it would be to either DIY the front mount to fit onto a standard width barrel or if I can shave enough off so it would sit comfortably. Any one have any ideas or experience with M203's?

Comment

I decided there wasn't enough of a gap between the end of the barrel and the 203 mount to make something strong enough. You could always get an M4A1 barrel and chip it down and rethread it or something

Comment

There's an ACM 5 piece barrel you can buy, its got 2 small adapters that are just the thing you're looking for. 14mm negative.

Comment

Yeah Opossum, I might have to do that. Although, how pliable or modifiable is the front mount? Could I modify that to fit around a 12" barrel?
                  And yeah Barny, that sounds good, do you have a link or any suggestions of where to find it?
                  Noticed the Battletec Guernsey location, you know a Luke Vaudin by any chance? I know he goes there sometimes, he's a top bloke.

-Grizzly

Comment

Any other ideas anyone?

Comment

Depending on the mount used, it can be altered. G&P mounts are a flat bit of steel with two tabs folded down which fit into the recess. These tabs removed would make the mount a bit wider and would require less of a "step" in the barrel. Classic Army mounts are cast as one lump so they wouldn't be as easily modified.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

GrizzlyDemon Find out more about GrizzlyDemon
                      Working...
                      X