Running Torch off the main battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Torch off the main battery

This may have been discussed before and may be very stupid but hey ho! No harm in asking!

Is it possible to run a torch off the main battery inside the grip of my gun? (8.4v Mini type)
    For example an ultrafire torch can run off anything between 3v-3.7v
    So if I tap into the airsoft battery between cells 3-4 and onto the negative wire then the voltage output should be 3.6v.
    So it should run the torch.

The problems I can forsee (with my incredibly limited and forgotten A-level in electronics) is that those three cells with the extra load will drain quicker than the other four, would that cause re-charging issues?
    If the torch runs the first three batteries dead, would the gun still function but with a reduced rate of fire?

I'm only trying to work this out as then the torch can have its centre battery case removed and can be much smaller and with one less set of batteries to charge before each game.

Are you killing battery's that quickly you need to find a solution?

Forget the volts, think of the Amps

Comment

Re: Running Torch off the main battery

Nope I havn't actually recieved the batteries for the torch yet. Just wondered if there was any way to make the torch smaller and less hassle of charging two sets of batteries.

Maybe I'm just a dreamer!

Comment

I wouldn't bother with the hassle to be honest. Normal batteries for torches (CR123 usually) last a fair old while.

Comment

Yeh i'm sure its probably not worth the hassle then. Plus the ability to use the torch on other guns/on its own is pretty useful

Comment

The big problem with uneven discharge is recharging again. You'd ideally need to separately balance the cells you run the light off with the others in the pack before recharging the whole pack - i.e. too much hassle.
            Other options would be to get a bulb for the light that can take the full pack voltage, or some kind of step-down unit. In the long run, separate batteries are less hassle.

Comment

its not just the fact that its going to cause charging issues with your battery, but also that the amperage is massive and every time you pull the trigger your torch will dim. just use the regular batteries unless you want to get into power caps and resistors. way too much hassle to be worth it.
              I know what i said because i was standing here when i said it.

ICS FAN - Always looking for parts. PM me what you have

Comment

Just get some rechargeable cr123's and the charger from eBay, I just picked up a spare I'm sure it was only like £11

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Pepperisit Find out more about Pepperisit
                Working...
                X