What wood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What wood?

what wood could i use to make a stock for my m700 which is cost effective and easy to carve
    After cheap project guns and various bits of kit

Re: what wood

Limewood, its a very good wood to work with, comes from britain so cheaper and a steady flat grain

Comment

Re: What wood?

I have just finished carving from a blank of limewood (it's not from the lime tree, it's from the old English proto german for wood believe it or not )

Like bosa says it grows in the uk but it has no visable grain, it's light, solid and holds and edge well but still is easy to carve and very forgiving as it's grain dosnt direct the carve. It has an all most ghostly clean White look to it when finished and sanded.

But it wouldn't really be my first choice for a gun stock as it's a soft wood, you would easily pit and damage it, however it's cheaper to buy than most hard wood, a dam site easier to source and carve and for Airsoft would probably do just fine. One thing thought, make sure to think about the flow of the grain, if the grain is running horizontal to the gun, you may snap the stock where it meets the body (gun and wood depending), make sure you use the strongest part of the grain where it's attached to the gun.

Try eBay for retailers as it's quick And easy for a small amount, most sellers on there will cut to order.

The blank I just used was 12x4x4in and cost £10 posted.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

fuzzhead Find out more about fuzzhead
      Working...
      X