Collapse

G&G top tech outer barrel thread size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G&G top tech outer barrel thread size?

Tried to take the flash hider off, it sheared in two, managed to get it off but its chewed the barrel thread. Much to my embarrassment i didn’t realize there was a small grub in the flash hider.

So my question is does anyone know the thread size? im fully aware its 14mm ccw but i need to know the pitch so i can buy a die.

can anyone help ?

mochas gracias..
    Current : Systema Mk18 CQBR, KSC Glock 17

Wanted : TM VSR Gspec, TM Sig 226

Re: G&G top tech outer barrel thread size?

guessing its m14x1.0 if anyone can confirm ?

Comment

if its the same as the m14 ebr then its 1.5mm

Comment

it's a tr16. (m4) looks like the standard thread so I think 1.5 is too course ?

Comment

14x1 is the pitch - you using the die to clean up the threads?
          Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

yes going to get a die to recut the treads best I can. if that's not good enough it's a new outer barrel :-(

Comment

M14 x 1 dies can be expensive if you only want it for one job. Maybe you could borrow one. Where are you Liam?

Your best bet might be to try using a steel flash hider to reform, rather than recut, the thread. IT's likely beyond rethreading.

Comment

If it is standard airsoft threads then it is a M14 x 1.0 pitched thread.

I bought my taps and die from eBay brand new. I think it was £12 for the die and £10 for a pair of taps (taper / No.1 and a No.2)

I can't access eBay from my work computer but when i get home i will link you the firm.

Comment

Apologies for the double post, but the damn thing wont open the edit screen.

The steel flash hider is not a bad idea if done correctly, alternatively, buy the correct pitch nut from a hardware store.

You might want to consider cutting grooves or flutes into the nut/ flash hider so the swarf has some where to go or just wind it on and back off a little each time cleaning the thread as you go. If you get a bit of swarf caught in the thread you run the risk of ruining it altogether.

Also, lube that baby up. A cutting compound such as ROCOL will be perfect for the job, but at a push, a bit of old engine oil, chip fat, butter or even spit will be better than "going in dry"

Comment

You don't want to cut it at all. If you try, and the thread is really bad, or you miss the correct start point, you'll strip off what's there and the whole thread will be useless.
                    You need the complete thread in the hider to re-form the existing material back into place. And the hider you use must be a harder material than the barrel.
                    e.g. aluminium/pot metal barrel and a steel hider.

It'll be next to impossible to buy an M14 x 1mm nut in any hardware store.

The only alternatives are to rethread to a smaller size, or scrap it and get a new outer barrel.

If you can post a photo/photos of the damage, Liam, we might be able to better advise on the way to fix it.

Comment

If your sensible you can easily slide a die over an existing thread and use it to clean the thread up, just be careful about it. And no, worst comes to the worst give the barrel to someone with a lathe and they can turn it down by the length of the thread so there is a new threaded section

Edit - and then cut the thread on with said lathe so that its perfectly square.

Comment

It really depends on how bad it is mangled, dave. Hence why I asked for photos.

BTW, I have a lathe and M14 x 1mm taps and dies in both CW and CCW as well as single-point CW threading facilities via the lathe,
                        I make replacement MP40 muzzle nuts and suppressor adaptors for other guns, so I'm not exactly inexperienced at this sort of thing.

Comment

Fairynuff! And jealous! I want a lathe, have to use Uni's ones at the mo.

Comment

everyone seems very defeatist ha. I'm an engineer by trade so kind of hope I know what I'm doing. going to try recutting the treads as there only damaged in the middle and fine at both ends. if that fails the barrel will be in the lathe .....

will try to get some pictures up at some point.

Comment

also doubt I'd be able to turn the barrel down and retread it is its cqb length. doo

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

liam88 Find out more about liam88
                              Working...
                              X